Flicka is a 2006 film based loosely on the 1941 novel and a remake of the original 1943 film My Friend Flicka. The plot focuses on a female protagonist, a 16 year old Wyoming girl named Katy Mclaughlin played by Alison Lohman who befriends a black mustang mare she founds in the forest of her father's American Quarter Horse ranch. In previous versions, the main character was a male. The movie also features Maria Bello and Tim McGraw, who also serves as executive producer of the soundtrack album.
- Directed by Michael Mayer. Written by Mark Rosenthal and Lawrence Konner.
- Everyone writes a story in their head that eventually becomes your life and if you don't write it yourself then someone else is gonna write it for you.
- [to Rob] When are you going to look at your daughter... and realize that she's you?
- I still think that they are looking for the same thing. A place where they can be optimistic about the future. A place who helps them be who they really wanna be. that they feel that this life makes sense. A place where they feel when I'm riding Flicka. cause when we're riding all I feel ...is free
Katie: No, I can ride her! Rob: No, you can't and you won't.
- (to Rob) I hate you!
- Alison Lohman - Katy McLaughlin
- Tim McGraw - Rob McLaughlin
- Maria Bello - Nell McLaughlin
- Ryan Kwanten - Howard McLaughlin
- Daniel Pino - Jack
- Dallas Roberts - Gus
- Kaylee DeFer - Miranda Koop