Jump to navigation Jump to search
Frances Ha is a 2012 film about a New York woman (who doesn't really have an apartment) who apprentices for a dance company (though she's not really a dancer) and throws herself headlong into her dreams, even as their possibility dwindles.
- It's that thing when you're with someone, and you love them and they know it, and they love you and you know it... but it's a party... and you're both talking to other people, and you're laughing and shining... and you look across the room and catch each other's eyes... but - but not because you're possessive, or it's precisely sexual... but because... that is your person in this life. And it's funny and sad, but only because this life will end, and it's this secret world that exists right there in public, unnoticed, that no one else knows about. It's sort of like how they say that other dimensions exist all around us, but we don't have the ability to perceive them. That's - That's what I want out of a relationship. Or just life, I guess.
- Sometimes it's good to do what you're supposed to do when you're supposed to do it.
- I'm so embarrassed. I'm not a real person yet.
- Don't treat me like a three-hour brunch friend!
- I'm too tall to marry.
- I like things that look like mistakes.
- We are like a lesbian couple that doesn't have sex anymore.
- The only people who can afford to be artists in New York are rich.
- It's just this apartment is very... aware of itself.
- I think it's a great day. I ate an egg bagel that Lev's slut made me. I internet-acquired three pairs of very rare Ray Bans. I'm doing awesome.
- Rachel: Fuck, I sound like a gay grandma.
- Benji: Are you still undateable?
- Frances: Oh yes, very undateable.
- Andy: So what do you do?
- Frances: Eh... It's kinda hard to explain.
- Andy: Because what you do is complicated?
- Frances: Eh... Because I don't really do it.
- Frances: I'm poor.
- Benji: That's offensive to actual poor people.
- Benji: Yup. I was there when Serge Gainsbourg died.
- Caroline: Weren't you like, eight?
- Benji: Yeah. It was the end of Euro disco.
- Frances: Do I look old to you?
- Benji: No. Yes. How old?
- Frances: Older than I am. Older than 27?
- Benji: No. 27 is old, though.
- Frances: I love you Sophie, even if you love your phone that has e-mail more than you love me.
- Sophie: My phone that has e-mail doesn't leave a casserole dish in the sink for three days.
- Lev Shapiro: Just because you bought dinner doesn't mean I'm gonna sleep with you.
- Frances: I'm not trying to sleep with you.
- Lev Shapiro: No, I was pretending to be a liberated woman.
- Greta Gerwig - Frances Halladay
- Mickey Sumner - Sophie Levee
- Charlotte d'Amboise - Colleen
- Adam Driver - Lev Shapiro
- Michael Esper - Dan
- Grace Gummer - Rachel
- Patrick Heusinger - Reade "Patch" Krause
- Josh Hamilton - Andy
- Maya Kazan - Caroline
- Justine Lupe - Nessa
- Britta Phillips - Nadia
- Juliet Rylance - Janelle
- Dean Wareham - Spencer
- Michael Zegen - Benji