Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This artist article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Howard Wise is one of the people who is responsible for the idea of an alternative television.
- Frank Gillette, interview with Marita Sturken, Nov. 11, 1983, cited in: Marita Sturken. "TV as a Creative Medium: Howard Wise and Video Art," in: Afterimage, May 1984
- The antithesis of 10th St. Howard was, at first, like a pariah uptown. He was very midwestern and his gallery had wall-to-wall carpeting.
- Frank Gillette, interview with Marita Sturken, Nov. 11, 1983, cited in: Afterimage, May 1984; About the arrival of Howard Wise in the art community
Quotes about Frank Gillette
- Merging a rich visual sensibility with an almost scientific engagement with taxonomy and ecological systems, Frank Gillette is a video pioneer whose multi-channel installations and tapes focus on empirical observations of natural phenomena. An early theorist of video's formal and aesthetic parameters, in 1969 he was a founding member and president of the influential video collective Raindance. With influences ranging from cybernetics to painting, Gillette was an innovator of the multi-channel installation form, experimenting with image feedback, time-delay and closed-circuit systems. His seminal installation Wipe Cycle (1969), produced in collaboration with Ira Schneider, was included in the landmark 1969 exhibition TV As A Creative Medium at the Howard Wise Gallery in New York.
- in: Electronic Arts Intermix Catalogue, cited in: Frank Gillette at utah,edu, 2015.