From Hell (film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- "From Hell." Well, at least they got the address right.
- Your typical Londoner, imbued with Christian sympathy for his fellow man — or fellow whore, in this case.
- You know who you're going to turn into. That sad old man in the pub that no one wants to sit beside because after a few drinks he'll start talking about the girl that got away.
- We were starving, but we were starving in fresh air.
- What? You think I was paying you back? I didn't mean it as business. I'm still a woman, they haven't taken that away from me, not yet anyways!
- I know you asked me to wait. If I'm to be murdered, I'd like at least to die in my village. I'm going to the orphanage to collect baby Alice. Here's an address where you can find us. We'll wait for you eagerly. I know in my heart we can be happy living by the sea. Just as you saw. I hope to be with you soon, dearest. All my love, Mary.
William Gull/Jack the Ripper
- No man amongst you is fit to judge the mighty art that I have wrought. Your rituals are empty oaths you neither understand nor live by. The Great Architect speaks to me. He is the balance, where my deeds are weighed and judged. Not you.
- Frederick Abberline: Sergeant, it's night.
- Sergeant Peter Godley: Well spotted, Inspector Abberline. Indeed it is night. Our genius has returned to us. [To uniformed officers] Thank you, gentlemen. And remember, if you ever wish to escape the dreary confines of your present duties, this never happened. Cut along now.
- Frederick Abberline: Have we lost a day?
- Sergeant Peter Godley: No, inspector. Indeed, it's only been four hours since you left here. Oh, [and] deepest apologies for the, uh... rude awakening.
- Frederick Abberline: I suspect you enjoyed that.
- Sergeant Peter Godley: "I must be cruel only to be kind," as the poet said. Although I would happily wallop you every time you chased the dragon.
- Sergeant Peter Godley: You've seen something? What did you see?
- Frederick Abberline: A petticoat saturated with blood.
- Sergeant Peter Godley: You know, they used to burn men like you alive.
- Frederick Abberline: You're physician in ordinary to the Queen entrusted with the well-being of the heir to the throne. Only you had reason to believe that these unfortunates, these whores, these traitors destroyed your life's work.
- Sir William Gull: Below the skin of history are London's veins. These symbols, the mitre, the pentacle star — even someone as ignorant and degenerate as you can sense that they course with energy and meaning. I am that meaning. I am that energy. One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th century.
- Frederick Abberline: You're not going to see the 20th century.
- [Abberline discovers another murder.]
- Frederick Abberline: Give him to me. [Abberline throttles Sir Charles.]
- Sir Charles Warren: He'll be taken care of. I swear.
- Frederick Abberline: I want him. [Abberline continues to assault Sir Charles.]
- Sir Charles Warren: It's over. He's done. I give you my word.
- Frederick Abberline: Fuck your word! I'll bring every last one of you fucking cunts down. You and your fucking brothers.
- Sir Charles Warren: Now, listen to me, Abberline. Your situation, your difficult situation has been thoroughly discussed. You are reinstated. Indeed, you are promoted.
- [Abberline again attempts to strangle Sir Charles.]
- Sergeant Gotley: No! This is not helping anything.
- Sir Charles Warren: Don't be a fool, inspector. You will be very closely watched.
- Johnny Depp - Inspector Frederick Abberline
- Heather Graham - Mary Kelly
- Ian Holm - Sir William Gull/Jack the Ripper
- Robbie Coltrane - Sergeant Peter Godley