Fury (1936 film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Directed by Fritz Lang. Written by Bartlett Cormack and Fritz Lang, based on the story "Mob Rule" by Norman Krasna.
TWO LOVERS...VICTIMS OF MOB VIOLENCE!
- The mob doesn't think. It has no mind of its own.
- I'll give them a chance that they didn't give me. They will get a legal trial in a legal courtroom. They will have a legal judge and a legal defense. They will get a legal sentence and a legal death.
- "I got you a little momentum." (He meant memento.)
- [to Joe] If those people die, Joe Wilson dies too; you know that, don't you? Wherever you go, whatever you do.
- District Attorney: [after several witnesses have lied on the stand] I wonder if I haven't been calling the defense witnesses by mistake.
- Joe Wilson: Your honor, I am Joseph Wilson.
- Court Bailiff: Keep your seat!
- Judge Daniel Hopkins: Go on.
- Joe Wilson: I know that by coming here, I saved the lives of these 22 people, but that isn't why I'm here. I don't care anything about saving them. They're murderers. I know the law says they're not because I'm still alive, but that's not their fault. And the law doesn't know that a lot of things that were very important to me, silly things maybe, like a belief in justice, and an idea that men were civilized, and a feeling of pride that this country of mine was different from all others. The law doesn't know that those things were burned to death within me that night. I came here today for my own sake. I couldn't stand it anymore. I couldn't stop thinking about them with every step and every breath I took, and I didn't believe Katherine when she said... Katherine is the young lady who was going to marry me. Maybe someday after I've paid for what I did, they'll be a chance to begin again, and then maybe Katherine and I...
- Katherine Grant: Joe.
- Sylvia Sidney - Katherine Grant
- Spencer Tracy - Joe Wilson
- Bruce Cabot - Kirby Dawson
- Walter Abel - District Attorney
- Edward Ellis - Sheriff
- Walter Brennan - "Bugs" Meyers
- Frank Albertson - Charlie
- Morgan Wallace - Fred Garrett
- Gwen Lee - Mrs. Fred Garrett
- George Chandler - Milton Jackson
- Edwin Maxwell - Vickery
- Howard C. Hickman - Governor
- Jonathan Hale - Defense Attorney
- Leila Bennett - Edna Hooper
- Esther Dale - Mrs. Whipple