Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Don't waste the Earth - It is our Jewel!
- Buzz Aldrin, 2012, quote from interview video at 1:28, https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=E3W7eVkWSs4
- I look upon you as a gem of the old rock.
- All the breath and the bloom of the year in the bag of one bee:
All the wonder and wealth of the mine in the heart of one gem:
In the core of one pearl all the shade and the shine of the sea:
Breath and bloom, shade and shine, — wonder, wealth, and — how far above them —
- Truth, that's brighter than gem,
- Trust, that's purer than pearl, —
- Brightest truth, purest trust in the universe, — all were for me
- In the kiss of one girl.
- Robert Browning, Summum Bonum (1889).
- In the kiss of one girl.
- If solid happiness we prize,
Within our breast this jewel lies.
- Nathaniel Cotton, The Fireside, stanza 3, reported in Bartlett's Familiar Quotations, 10th ed. (1919).
- How many a thing which we cast to the ground,
When others pick it up, becomes a gem!
- God can find a soul of beauty
Where it falls, as gems of worth
Are found by miners dark in earth.
- Joaquin Miller, Shadows of Shasta (1881), Epigraph, Ch. 4 : The Old Gold-Hunter.
Dear, I took these trackless masses
Fresh from Him who fashioned them;
Wrought in rock, and hewed fair passes,
Flower set, as sets a gem.
- Joaquin Miller, ' In Classic Shades, and Other Poems (1890), "Juanita".
- Self-respect without the respect of others is like a jewel which will not stand the daylight.
- Alfred Nobel, as quoted in A Nobel Affair: The Correspondence between Alfred Nobel and Sofie Hess, p. 48, Translated by Erika Rummel, University of Toronto Press, 2017.
- The earth, he'd say, is just a big machine. A big processing plant. A factory. That's your big answer. The big truth. Think of a rock polisher, one of those drums, goes round and round, rolls twenty-four/seven, full of water and rocks and gravel. Grinding it all up. Round and round. Polishing those ugly rocks into gemstones.
- Our world hangs like a magnificent jewel in the vastness of space. Every one of us is a part of that jewel. A facet of that jewel. And in the perspective of infinity, our differences are infinitesimal.
- Sweet are the uses of adversity;
Which, like the toad, ugly and venomous,
Wears yet a precious jewel in his head.
- Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty. Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
- A gift is as a precious stone in the eyes of him that hath it.
- Book of Proverbs 17:8.
- You have stolen my heart, my sister, my bride; you have stolen my heart with one glance of your eyes, with one jewel of your necklace.
- How beautiful your sandaled feet, O prince’s daughter! Your graceful legs are like jewels, the work of an artist’s hands.
Wikibooks has a book on the topic of