Jump to navigation Jump to search
George Best (22 May 1946 – 25 November 2005) was a Northern Irish professional football player, best known for his years with Manchester United.
- If you'd given me the choice of going out and beating four men and smashing a goal in from thirty yards against Liverpool or going to bed with Miss World, it would have been a difficult choice. Luckily, I had both.
- In the book The Afterlife by Paul Morley "", Footy Factor (April 23, 2009).
- I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
- Reported in "Best: Decline of the golden boy", BBC News (June 14 2005).
- I used to go missing a lot... Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss World.
- Reported in "The things they say: George Best", FIFA.com (July 31, 2009).
- I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep.
- C. 1974; reported in Patrick West, Beating Them at Their Own Game: How the Irish Conquered English Soccer (2006), p. 188.
- In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life.
- Reported in Ned Sherrin, Oxford Dictionary of Humorous Quotations (2008), p. 153.
- He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right.
- There have been a few players described as the new George Best over the years, but this is the first time it's been a compliment to me.
- ...the Englishman [sic], George Best, who was an amazing footballer in his day but at the same time he was a bum and a drunk – a bohemian. Because of his soccer art though, he had a royal funeral.