Sir George Etherege (c. 1635 – c. May 10 1692) was an English dramatist who helped to create the genre of Restoration comedy.
The Man of Mode (1676)
- Next to the coming to a good understanding with a new mistress, I love a quarrel with an old one.
- When love grows diseased, the best thing we can do is to put it to a violent death. I cannot endure the torture of a lingering and consumptive passion.
- Writing, madam, is a mechanic part of wit. A gentleman should never go beyond a song or a billet.
- I know all beyond High Park's a desert to you.
- Act V, sc. ii
- Often misquoted as "Beyond Hyde Park all is a desert".