George VI of the United Kingdom
George VI of the United Kingdom (Albert Frederick Arthur George Windsor) (14 December 1895 – 6 February 1952).
- You've been pretty unlucky with the weather, Mr Piper.
- In order that they should be worthily and promptly recognised, I have decided to create, at once, a new mark of honour for men and women in all walks of civilian life. I propose to give my name to this new distinction, which will consist of the George Cross, which will rank next to the Victoria Cross, and the George Medal for wider distribution.
- Announcement made on 24 September 1940, establishing the George Cross medal to reward civilian acts of the highest courage.
- We are not a family, we are a firm.
- On the Royal family, quoted by A. B. Baxter in Destiny Called to Them (Oxford University Press, 1939)
- The highest of distinctions is service to others.
- Taken from the British Royal Family History website, 
Quotes about George VI
- The children won't go without me. I won't leave the King. And the King will never leave.
- Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, in a public declaration in the early years of World War II. Sourced from the British Royal Family History website.