Gerald McBoing-Boing is a 1950 animated short film produced by United Productions of America (UPA) and given wide release by Columbia Pictures on November 2, 1950. The winner of the 1950 Academy Award for Best Animated Short, 'Gerald McBoing-Boing is the story of a little boy who speaks through sound effects instead of spoken words.
- Narrator: This is the story of Gerald McCloy and the strange thing that happened to that little boy. They say it all started when Gerald was two. That's the age kids start talking, least most of them do. But when he started talking, you know what he said? He didn't talk words; he went... [boing, boing] ...instead.
- Gerald's Father: [about Gerald going "boing boing"] What's that?
- Narrator: ...cried his father, his face turning gray.
- Gerald's Father: That's a very odd thing for a young boy to say!
- Narrator: And poor Gerald's father rushed to the phone and quick-dialed the number of Dr. Malone.
- Gerald's Father: [on the phone] Come over fast!
- Narrator: ...the poor father pled.
- Gerald's Father: Our boy can't speak words! He goes boing-boing instead!
- Narrator: And as little Gerald grew older, he found when a fella goes... [honk, honk] ...no one wants him around. When a fella goes... [boing, boing] ...he can't have any pals, and his... [alarm bell ringing] ...frightened the gals. "Nyah-nyah!" they all shouted. "Your name's not McCloy! You're Gerald McBoing-Boing, the noise-making boy!'
- Narrator: [from letter] From Public School 7 to Mrs. McCloy. Your little son Gerald's a most helpless boy. We cannot accept him, for we have a rule that pupils must not go... [cuckoo] ...in our school. Your boy will go... [honk] ...all his life, I'm afraid. Sincerly yours, Fanny Schultz, teacher, first grade.
- [The doctor tries to examine Gerald to see what's wrong with him; his boinging startles the doctor]
- Doctor: [to Gerald's parents] I see...
- Narrator: ...said the doctor.
- Doctor: ...it's just as you said. He doesn't speak words, he goes "boing boing" instead. I've no cure for this. I can't handle the case.
- Narrator: And he packed up his pills and walked out of the place.
- Narrator: Now his parents, proud parents, are able to boast that their Gerald's... [car horn] ...is known coast to coast. Our Gerald is rich, he has friends, he's well fed, 'cause he doesn't speak words, he goes... [boing-boing] ...instead.