The Grateful Dead was a very popular American rock band formed in 1965 in Palo Alto, California known for its eclectic style, which fused elements of rock, folk, country, jazz, bluegrass, blues, gospel, and psychedelic rock. They have sold more than 35 million albums worldwide.
- Saint Stephen with a rose
- In and out of the garden he goes
- Country garden in the wind and the rain
- Wherever he goes the people all complain ...
- Did he doubt or did he try?
- Answers aplenty in the bye and bye
- Talk about your plenty and talk about your ills
- One man gathers what another man spills
- Saint Stephen will remain
- All he lost he shall regain
- Dark star crashes pouring its light into ashes.
- Reason tatters, the forces tear loose from the axis...
- Searchlight casting for faults in the clouds of delusion
- Shall we go, you and I while we can
- Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?
American Beauty (1970)
- Most of the cats that you meet on the street speak of true love
- Most of the time, they're sittin' and cryin' at home
- One of these days they know they better be goin'
- Out of the door and down to the street all alone
- Truckin', like the do-dah man
- Once told me, "You've got to play your hand"
- Sometimes the cards ain't worth a dime
- If you don't lay 'em down
- She come skimming through rays of violet
- She can wade in a drop of dew
- She don't come and I don't follow
- Waits backstage while I sing to you...
- She's a summer love in the spring, fall and winter
- She can make happy any man alive
- Let there be songs to fill the air.
- If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine
- And my tunes were played on the harp unstrung,
- Would you hear my voice come through the music?
- Would you hold it near as it were your own?...
- There is a road, no simple highway
- Between the dawn and the dark of night
- And if you go no one may follow
- That path is for your steps alone
- Ripple, lyrics by Robert Hunter
- A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
- Believe it if you need it, if you don't just pass it on
- Sun and shower, wind and rain
- In and out the window like a moth before a flame
- And it's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there
- Believe it if you need it or leave it if you dare
- And it's just a box of rain, or a ribbon for your hair
- Such a long, long time to be gone and a short time to be there
From the Mars Hotel (1974)
- Well I ain't often right but I've never been wrong
- Seldom turns out the way it does in the song.
- Once in a while you get shown the light
- In the strangest of places if you look at it right.
- Ain't nothing wrong with the way she moves
- Scarlet begonias or a touch of the blues
- And there's nothing wrong with the look that's in her eyes
- Had to learn the hard way to let her pass by, let her pass by