Hair-Raising Hare is a Warner Bros. Merrie Melodies cartoon, released in 1946. It was directed by Chuck Jones and written by Chuck Jones. It stars Bugs Bunny and features the first appearance of Chuck Jones' imposing orange monster character, unnamed here, but in later cartoons named "Rudolph" and then "Gossamer". In the short, a sneaker-wearing, hairy monster chases Bugs through a castle belonging to an evil scientist.
- I don't know. But, did you ever had the feeling you was being watched?
- That's the trouble with some dames. Kiss 'em and they fly apart!
- Forgot to open the door!
- And don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven... 'cause it hasn't.
- And so, having disposed of the monster, exit our hero through the front door, stage right, none the worse for his harrowing experience.
- And so, having redisposed of the Monster, exit our hero through the front door, stage right!
- [to Gossamer] Hey, Frankenstein!
- Bugs Bunny: Is there a doctor in the house? Is there a doctor in the house?
- Doctor in audience: I'm a doctor!
- Bugs Bunny: Eh, what's up, doc?
- Bugs Bunny: Oh, for shame! Just look at your fingernails!
- [Bugs rushes off and immediately returns with manicurist's table and equipment and begins to do the monster's nails]
- Bugs Bunny: My, I bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day - Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting, I said. The places you must go and the places you must see, my stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people. Now let's dip our patties in the water!
- [Bugs dips the monster's hands into two bowls, where two mousetraps snap shut on them]
- Bugs Bunny: Listen, Dracula... Have you ever had the feeling you were being watched? Like the eyes of strange things are upon you? Look, out there in the audience. [then starts speaking, extra slowly and almost whispers] Look, out there, in the audience.
- Monster: PEEEE-PLE! Aieeeeeeee!
- [Monster then runs away through the laboratory walls screaming]
- Bugs Bunny: And so, having re-redisposd of the Monster, exit our hero...[notices the mechanical female rabbit from before] Mechanical! [the Mechanical female rabbit kisses him] Well. So, it's mechanical!