Hammett is a 1982 stylized homage to noir and pulp fiction. It is a fictionalized account about writer Dashiell Hammett.
He Created 'The Maltese Falcon," "Sam Spade," and "The Thin Man". But He Didn't Write This Mystery-Thriller...He Lived It. Taglines
- Directed by Wim Wenders and written by Thomas Pope (adaptation), Dennis O'Flaherty, Ross Thomas, based upon the novel by Joe Gores.
Samuel Dashiell Hammett
- Why is he tailing me all over town? Does he think I'm pretty or what?
- I knew you gone sour, Ryan, but I didn't know you gone simple.
- Her name wasn't really Sue Alabama... It was Sue something Greek and unpronounceable.
- She primed him and I went in on the cleanup.
- Sex was nearly all Sue Alabama ever needed, and she could use it the way some guys use a blackjack.
- I can't figure him for a cannon. The only thing Pen Pal would ever use is the U.S. Mail... Extortion.
- He needed one hand for the money and the other for the gun... He wasn't good enough to handle both.
- The Punk: Whose there? You don't want a belly full of daylight!
- English Eddie Hagedorn: You have a unique persuasive style, sir. Perhaps a little lacking in finesse, but then, polish isn't everything.
- Ryan: That'll stop a kitten if you're lucky.
- Sue Alabama: It'll stop a tiger if you know how to point it.
- Ryan: At least you didn't hit the money.
- Sue Alabama: I didn't aim at the money.
- Sue Alabama: Give me two hours.
- Ryan: Why?
- Sue Alabama:For old times' sake.
- Ryan: I'll give you one.
- Sue Alabama: Okay, one.
- Ryan: (Voice Over) I didn't give her an hour, of course... I didn't even giver her 15 minutes... They picked her up at the Union Station with a ticket to Chicago in her bag.
- The Punk: You son of a bitch! I'll strangle you with your own guts!
- Hammett: People lose teeth talking like that.