Hell On Wheels (TV series)
Hell On Wheels (2011–2016) is a television series, airing on the AMC cable channel about a former Civil War Confederate soldier, who works as a foreman on the railroad, as he tries to track down the Union soldiers who murdered his wife.
- Thomas 'Doc' Durant: Blood will be spilled. Lives will be lost. Fortunes will be made. Men will be ruined.
- Cullen Bohannon: Tell me about Meridian, Mississippi.
- Sean McGinnes: Do you not believe in a higher power?
- Cullen: Yes, sir. I wear it on my hip.
- Daniel Johnson: You released your slaves and still fought in the war. Why?
- Cullen: Honor.
- Cullen: You've got to let go of the past.
- Elam Ferguson: Have you let it go?
- Durant: Is it a villain you want? I'll play the part. After all, what is a drama without a villain? What is the building of this grand road if not a drama? This business is not for the weak of heart. It is a thorny, brutal affair that rewards the lion for his ferocity. But what of the zebra? What of the poor zebra? Well, the zebra's eaten, as the zebra should be. Make no mistake, blood will be spilled, lives will be lost, fortunes will be made, men will be ruined. There will be betrayal and scandals, and perfidy of epic proportions, but the lion - shall - prevail! You see, the secret I know is this. All of history is driven by the lion. We drag the poor zebra, kicking and braying, staining the earth with its cheap blood. History doesn't remember us fondly, but then history is written by the zebra for the zebra. One hundred years hence, when this railroad spans the continent, and America rises to be the greatest power the world has seen, I will be remembered as a caitiff, a malefactor, who only operated out of greed for personal gain. All true, all true, but remember this: without me and men like me, your glorious railroad would never be built.