Heywood Broun (1888–1939) was an American journalist, sportswriter and newspaper columnist in New York City. He founded the American Newspaper Guild, now known as The Newspaper Guild.
- The artist has never been a dictator, since he understands better than anybody else the variations in human personality.
- "Bring on the Artist", New York World Telegram, June 19, 1933
- There is no proselyter half so energetic as the hard-shelled atheist.
- "A New Preface to an Old Story", Broun's Nutmeg, August 19, 1939
- Nobody talks so constantly about God as those who insist that there is no God.
- Appeasers believe that if you keep on throwing steaks to a tiger, the tiger will become a vegetarian.