Honey, I Shrunk The Kids
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids is a 1989 film about four kids who mistakenly get shrunken to 1/4 of an inch tall and must cross a backyard which is dangerous and similar to a jungle for them due to their microscopic size.
- Nick: I'm on a special diet. No toxic waste.
- Russell 'Russ' Thompson, Sr.: The coach put me on these babies. You know what happened? I put on twenty pounds of pure unadulterated blitz-the-quarterback-and-rip-his-head-off muscle, Russell!
- Wayne: Wait a second, Nick doesn't play baseball.
- Nick: Hey, wait! I get it...French Class! (laughs)
- Amy: Nick, what did you do?
- Nick: Me? It was his ball!
- Ronald 'Ron' Thompson: Shut up, wimp!
- Nick: We have to find Dad. He'll know what to do.
- [The phone starts ringing]
- Amy: Nick, if that's Paul Tate, I'm going to kill you.
- Amy: I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto.
- Nick: I don't think we're in the food chain anymore, Dorothy.
- [Nick falls into a flower]
- Amy: Nick, get out of there. You're allergic to pollen.
- Nick: It's too big. I'm too little to breathe it in.
- [Nick sniffs the flower's pollen; he does a little sneeze]
- [Wayne shows the Thompsons the shrunken furniture]
- Mae Thompson: Why didn't you tell us about this earlier?
- Diane: Well, up until now, the machine just... blew things up.
- Mae Thompson: Are you saying that that machine...?
- Russell 'Russ' Thompson, Sr.: Blew up my kids?
- Wayne & Diane: No, no!
- Wayne: No, if the machine had blown up the kids, there'd be pieces of them everywhere...
- Diane: Wayne!
- Wayne: Sorry, but I'm positive about this. The machine shrunk our kids.
- Russell 'Russ' Thompson, Sr.: You're the one who needs a "shrink", Szalinski! You are a nutcase. And I'll tell you something: I have got an air hammer in my attic, and if you did do something to my kids, there's gonna be pieces of you all over the neighborhood! Come on, Mae!
- [Russ Sr. storms out of the house, taking Mae with him]
- Wayne: I think that went well.
- Diane: I think we should have them over more often.
- Ronald 'Ron' Thompson: Your dad will go to jail, your mother too. After all she paid for, that makes her accomplice. Do you even know what it's like in jail?
- Amy: I'm not even going to tell you one more time to shut up.
- Ronald 'Ron' Thompson: And then what? You'll smack me? You'll go to jail. I'll tell them after a big bee ate my brother you smacked me around. No jury in the world would fail to convict you. The whole Szalinski family is going to be in jail for life...
- Amy: Look, my dad's invention works and so when we get home and he fixes us, we're gonna be so rich. You're gonna regret this.
- Ronald 'Ron' Thompson: Um... Amy, you know I've always liked your family. Your dad's a real nice guy. He's not as weird as I thought he was. I love you and Nick like... Like my own brother and sister.
- Russell 'Russ' Thompson, Jr.: So, you like to dance?
- Amy: Yeah... You could see me?
- Russell 'Russ' Thompson, Jr.: Well, no... Well yeah, yeah I could see you... But I wasn't watching you. I...
- [the ground starts to vibrate beneath the kids' feet]
- Ronald 'Ron' Thompson: EARTHQUAKE!!
- Nick: No worse, LAWNMOWER!!
- Russell 'Russ' Thompson, Jr.: Hey, Ron, this is a lot better than those nature hikes dad drags...(looks up) AAAHHHH!!!!!!!
- Amy: Nick, don't you ever pick up your toys?
- Ronald 'Ron' Thompson: What a wimp!
- Nick: I've been looking for that guy.
About Honey, I Shrunk The Kids
- They were kind of nervous. It was after Re-Animator had come out, and our kids were complaining that they couldn’t see these movies that we were making. We came up with the idea for Honey! I Shrunk the Kids, and took it to Disney. They liked it, and we developed it for them. We got Ed Naha, who wrote Dolls, which we had done together, to write the script. I was going to direct, and did all the planning and worked out the special effects, and two weeks before it started shooting I got sick and couldn’t do it. They got Joe Johnston to direct the film, and I was pretty pleased with the results…It’s funny. When people talk about [Honey! I Shrunk The Kids] they say, “It’s so different.” Really, it’s not that different than Re-Animator. It’s about a mad scientist and an experiment that goes wrong, and so forth…the potential for severing some heads was there, when you have a giant ant coming at you with those big mandibles. Who knows what could happen?
̈** Stuart Gordon 
- Stuart and Brian had young children back then and came up with this idea about shrunken kids. They pitched it to Disney and the studio was interested. So, they approached me about working with them and we came up with the story. When I was a kid on the East Coast, there was a comic strip in the Sunday edition of The New York Daily News called the Teenie-Weenies. It was one huge frame showing little people riding around on mice or sitting in thimbles and I just loved that. There was also a little guy or girl that you could cut out of the newspaper and paste on cardboard to play with. So, in a way, I was prepared for this sort of thing ever since I could hold a newspaper in my chubby little hands.
- Ed Naha 
- Rick Moranis as Wayne Szalinski
- Marcia Strassman as Diane Szalinski
- Amy O'Neill as Amy Szalinski
- Robert Oliveri as Nick Szalinski
- Matt Frewer as Russ Thompson, Sr.
- Kristine Sutherland as Mae Thompson
- Thomas Wilson Brown as Russ Thompson, Jr.
- Jared Rushton as Ron Thompson
- Frank Welker as Special Vocal Effects (voice)