Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The honk-a-tonk last night was well attended by ball heads, bachelors and leading citizens.
- It was moaned by resonant moaners in honky tonks of the southwest.
- Speaking of a song
- Carl Sandburg, Songbag, 1927
- "This place ain't no damn honkatonk, stranger," reproved the bar-tender... "Folks get throwed outa here sometimes."
- C. E. Mulford, Deputy Sheriff, 1930
- Its master whose anonymous dust lay with that of his blood and of the progenitors of saxophone players in Harlem honky-tonks.
- Speaking of a dog
- William Faulkner, Hamlet, 1940
- Honky-tonks, restaurants and whore-houses.
- John Steinbeck, Cannery Row, 1945
- These honkey-tonks ran wide open twenty-four hours a day... Their attendance was some of the lowest caliber women in the world and their intake was the revenue from the little, pitiful gambling games they operated.
- Jelly Roll Morton; quoted in Lomax, Alan (1950). Mr. Jelly Roll.
- I didn't know God made honky tonk angels
I might have known you'd never make a wife
You gave up the only one that ever loved you
and went back to the wild side of life
- Hank Thompson, "The Wild Side of Life"
- It wasn't God who made honky tonk angels
As you said in the words of your song
Too many times married men think they're still single
That has caused many a good girl to go wrong
- I met a gin soaked, bar-room queen in Memphis,
She tried to take me upstairs for a ride.
She had to heave me right across her shoulder
'Cause I just can't seem to drink you off my mind.
It's the honky tonk women
Gimme, gimme, gimme the honky tonk blues.
- The Rolling Stones, "Honky Tonk Woman"
- I walked into a honky tonk just the other day. I put a nickel in the jukebox just to hear it play.