I Am David (film)
- When I look at the boy in that painting, I see a very intelligent, very serious person, and a good person. But there’s something about the eyes and the face that seems lost and sad. But that’s as far as I can see because he doesn’t want to let the world see any further.
- David: I wish I were dead.
- Johannes: Don't ever say that. Don't even think it.
- David: Why not? There's nothing good here! What's the point in even staying alive?
- Johannes: 'Cause if you're alive you can change things. If you're dead you can't. Do whatever you can to stay alive, no matter what.
- David: Johannes. I want to escape. You said that if we weren’t dead we could change things. But how do you know they’re going to let us live?
- Johannes: We don’t.
- David: Then we should leave while we still can.
- Johannes: They’d kill us if we tried.
- David: They’re going to kill us anyway. We should do everything we can to stay alive. That’s what you said.
- [Johannes is silent.]
- David: You’re scared.
- Johannes: Yes, I am.
- David: I don’t want to be scared anymore, Johannes.
- Johannes: Neither do I.
- David: Did I just smile at you?
- Maria: Yes. How come?
- David: I don’t know.
- Maria: Is it because you think I look funny?
- David: No.
- Maria: Then… maybe you love me.
- Sophie: David, if there’s something troubling you, I’d very much like to help you if I can.
- David: Please… don’t turn me in.
- Sophie: Turn you in to whom?
- David: To them. To him. To anyone!
- Sophie: I wouldn’t dream of turning you in to anybody, for any reason! You’re quite safe here, David. You’re safe!
- David: From the guards?
- Sophie: From everybody!
- David: I want to tell you everything, Sophie… but I can’t. I just can’t.
- Sophie: David, you don’t have to tell me anything. I just want you to know that you’re safe here, and that everything will be all right.
- David: I am David.
- David’s mother: I know, David. I know.
- Believe in the power to change your destiny