Jump to navigation Jump to search
Which side will you be on?
- Directed by Lindsay Anderson. Written by David Sherwin, based on a story written by David Sherwin and John Howlett.
- There's no such thing as a wrong war. Violence and revolution are the only pure acts.
- War is the last possible creative act.
- When do we live? That's what I want to know.
- [after lights-out, whispering] Stephans. Whatever you're doing now... don't.
- [looking at a model in a magazine] There's only one thing you can do with a girl like this. Walk naked into the sea together as the sun sets. Make love once... Then die.
- One man can change the world with a bullet in the right place. [deals out Bren gun ammo] Real bullets.
- The whole world will end very soon - black, brittle bodies peeling into ash...
- What stands, if freedom falls? Who dies, if England lives?
- [to Stephans] Excuse me, you mind not picking your shag-spots in here?
- The thing I hate about you Rowntree is the way you give Coca-Cola to your scum and your best teddy-bear to Oxfam and expect us to lick your frigid fingers for the rest of your frigid life.
- [to Denson] You mean that bit of wool on your tit?
- The thing I'd really hate is to have a nail banged through the back of my neck. Slowly. [laughs] I don't see what difference the speed makes. [laughs] The speed of the nail. [laughs] The -The -The nail's speed! [laughs] The s-speed. [laughs]
- [at dinner] Do you need this, Mrs. Kemp? Dead man's leg today Mrs. Kemp?
- [telling Knightly of his summer activities] I...met this fantastic bird in the East End, went round all the pubs. You ever been to those pubs? You should see those old loves dancing...showing their knickers. Take 'em off near the end. [Chuckles] She had a weird religion - only kiss on Thursdays. [Chuckles] Took me home to meet her mum and dad. Well, that finished it. Practically married us off, they did, over the Sunday joint.
- [after a fencing duel with Wallace and Knightly] Blood! Real blood!
- [trimming his mustache] My face is a never fading source of wonder to me.
- The night's dead. You can hardly breathe outside.
- [discussing horrible ways to die] Being flayed alive. That's what the Crusaders did to their enemies. Used to send their neatly folded skins back to their victims' wives.
- [to Denson, having a cold shower] My time's up you bastard!
- [to Denson, about his necklace] They're my teeth, they're my good luck.
- [to Rowntree] What do you mean, being a nuisance? What have we done?
- [clapping slowly, facetiously] Jolly, jolly good Stephans.
- We're on our own now.
- [making a blood pact with Wallace and Knightly] Death to the oppressor.
- [to Wallace, watching as Knightly is being flogged] Christ, that was a bit low!
- War even to the knife!
- [to Mick] Go on. Look at me. Look at my eyes. I'll kill you. Sometimes I stand in front of the mirror and my eyes get bigger and bigger. And I'm like a tiger. I like tigers. Rrrrah!
- Paradise is for the blessed. Not for the sex-obsessed.
- Space you see Michael, is all expanding at the speed of light. It's a mathematical certainty that among all those millions of stars, there's another planet where they speak English.
- Malcolm McDowell - Michael Arnold "Mick" Travis
- David Wood - Johnny
- Richard Warwick - Wallace
- Christine Noonan - The Girl
- Rupert Webster - Bobby Phillips
- Robert Swann - Rowntree
- Hugh Thomas - Denson
- Michael Cadman - Fortinbras
- Peter Sproule - Barnes
- Peter Jeffrey - Headmaster
- Anthony Nicholls - General Denson
- Arthur Lowe - Mr. Kemp
- Mona Washbourne - Matron
- Mary MacLeod - Mrs. Kemp
- Geoffrey Chater - Chaplain
- Charles Sturridge - Markland
- David Griffin - Willens
- Sean Bury - Jute
- Ben Aris - John Thomas, Undermaster