Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Indigo Girls are the American folk-rock duo of Amy Ray and Emily Saliers. They got their start as part of the Athens, Georgia alternative rock scene that included The B-52's, Pylon, R.E.M., the Georgia Satellites, and Love Tractor.
- Mercenaries of the shrine, who are you to speak for God?
With haughty eyes and lying tongues and hands that shed innocent blood.
Who delivered you the power to interpret Calvary?
You gamble away our freedom to gain your own authority.
- "Strange Fire" from Strange Fire (1987)
- I went to see a doctor of philosophy
With a poster of Rasputin and a beard down to his knees.
He never did marry or see a B-grade movie.
He graded my performance, he said he could see through me.
I spent four years prostrate to the higher mind, got my paper
And I was free.
- "Closer to Fine", from Indigo Girls (1989)
- Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good laugh.
- "Watershed" from Nomads Indians Saints (1990)
- I offer thanks to those before me.
That's all I've got to say.
'Cause maybe you squandered big bucks in your lifetime
Now I have to pay.
- "Galileo" from Rites of Passage (1992)
- The Mississippi's mighty
But it starts in Minnesota
At a place that you could walk across with five steps down.
- "Ghost" from Rites of Passage (1992)
- Galileo's head was on the block... The crime was looking up for truth... And then you had to bring up reincarnation... How long 'til my soul gets it right... Can any human being ever reach that kind of light... I call on the resting soul of Galileo... King of night vision, king of insight... I'm not making a joke, you know me...I take everything so seriously... If we wait for the time 'til all souls get it right... Then at least I know there'll be no nuclear annihilation... Can any human being ever reach the highest light... Except for Galileo — God rest his soul... Except for the resting soul of Galileo...
- I squeeze the sky out but there’s not a star appears
- "Language or The Kiss" from Swamp Ophelia (1994)
- They stole my land
They won't steal my soul
- "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee", from 1200 Curfews (1995)
- They said "We've been looking for illegal immigrants, Can we check your car?"
I said "You know it's funny, I think we were on the same boat back in 1694."
- "Shame on You" from Shaming of the Sun (1997)
- We're sculpted from youth, the chipping away makes me weary
- "Deconstruction" from Become You (2002)
- Come on, the summer's coming.
Rain's been heavy and the river's running.
Loose the cuff
It's been tough,
But it's fast improving.
We got sticks to hollow piles.
We got stories- lead to smiles
We gotta twirl
With this world,
I can feel it moving.
- "Rise Up" from All That We Let In (2004)
- I don't know what to believe
I just show up and breathe
- "Lay My Head Down" from Despite Our Differences (2006)