- Who's the driver? Dad. Who's the navigator? Me. Have I ever got us lost before?
- Toto, you're gonna get me in trouble!
- Yes, I do. And I also know what they say about talking to strangers.
- You can stay with us. [beat] It was mom's idea.
- Stupid? You're the one who thinks he's in a dream. I was just trying to be nice. Go back to your muttering then. See if I care.
- Why is every bookstore we go to a thousand years old?
- I have Mo's gift.
- [To Dustfinger] You're afraid.
- Don't worry Toto; you're just not in Kansas anymore.
- You don't know what I can do...and neither do I.
- Well, that makes sense, you speaking weasel.
- The written word is a powerful thing.
- Hey, look! A sasquatch!
- I don't read aloud anymore.
- I'm warning you. I have no control over what comes and goes.
- I can't send you back. I don't know how.
- This is the story you've been waiting to hear...
- [About Elinor] She's kind of an acquired taste.
- [To Meggie about Inkheart] You're not even allowed to touch that book, you understand me?
- Just get in the car!
- All right; this is our way in. Now listen, this is gonna be dangerous, so you need to keep up. You gotta move quickly.
- I miss my family too.
- Do you know the end of your story Meggie?
- He doesn't like to be tickled.
- His name's Gwin. And I know he looks charming, but you know what they say about books and covers.
- Has your father ever read you a bedtime story, Meggie?
- You are not my god!
- Put right the wrong you did nine years ago.
- Before you say anything, I'm here to save your necks.
- Let's you and me go for a little walk.
- There are times in life when the stars simply align.
- [To Resa] You went in the book when I came out.
- I prefer a story that has the good sense to stay on the page.
- Stop ringing that d**n bell!
- [About Meggie] She so reminds me of her mother. And not just when she opens her mouth, if she ever does.
- You barbaric piece of pulp fiction!
- Oh yes, and duct tape. I love duct tape.
- [About the Shadow] You are going to love him. And by 'love' I mean 'cower in terror' from.
- [To Dustfinger] Must you do that every time? It's pathetic, honestly.
- [To Dustfinger] Now go and get your burns tended, otherwise I'll be forced to cancel our weekly juggle night. And you know how I love juggle night.
- This must be what it feels like to give birth!
- (regretably) I'm sorry. I had no choice, (suddenly excited) but look! It's Basta!
- [About Dustfinger] I'm practically his father!
- [To Capricorn] You're just how I wrote you. A cowardly thug.
- [To Mortola] You are my crude scribblings, Magpie.
- Meggie! Set me free!
- It's a wonderful story. I'd give anything to go into it myself.
- Why can't I come too? It's my car.
- Reduced to babysitting. Marvelous.
- You remember my calling card. (mimicking slashes) One, two, three!
- Evil spirits I repel thee! Evil spirits I repel thee!
- Maybe I don't need luck.
- It's just a dream. It's just a dream.
- You are as sour as goat's urine!
- [About Fenoglio] But he's mean!
- I don't want to go back into my stinking book!
- Basta (after catching up to Meggie and Mo): Hello, princess. Where's you father?
- Fenoglio: I told them he's gone out, but they don't believe me.
- Meggie: You told them?!
- Fenoglio: He had a knife to my throat! Isn't he awful?
- Basta: Tell me where Silvertongue is before I kill you both. (Toto comes out from under the bed and barks)
- Meggie: Toto, no! (she goes over to Toto)
- Fenoglio: Toto? (looks at "The Wizard of Oz") Oh, my goodness! (picks up "The Wizard of Oz") She's inherited her father's gift! (Basta grabs the book, and looks back at Meggie)
- Basta: Another Silvertongue. Ol' Capricorn will be pleased. (he takes Toto away from Meggie; Toto whimpers)
- Dustfinger (after Meggie was tickling Gwin and got bit): He doesn't like to be tickled. And you sould be more careful. His name's Gwin. And I know he looks charming, but you know what they say about books and covers. (he leans down in front of Meggie to pick up Gwin; Meggie gets up)
- Meggie: Yes, I do. And I also know what they say about talking to strangers. Excuse me. (she starts walking away)
- Dustfinger: But I'm not a stranger, Meggie. (Meggie stops and turns around back to Dustfinger) You won't remember me; we met once when you were quite small. But I'm not a stranger. (Mo comes out of the bookshop, and stares at Dustfinger) Hello, Silvertongue. (Meggie turns around) I was just having a talk with your daughter.
- Dustfinger (after Farid annouced he was going with Dustfinger): What about the girl? I thought you liked her.
- Farid: Oh, don't worry. (pulls out a wallet containing pictures of Meggie; somewhat satisfied) I stole his wallet.
- Basta (after he attempted to attack Meggie): Get off!
- Dustfinger: No one gets hurt! (starts setting fire on Basta's jacket)
- Basta (terrified): F-fire! Fire!
- Dustfinger: Is that what we agreed on? Is that what we agreed on?!
- Basta: Yes! We agreed! We agreed! We agreed! (Dustfinger takes his hands off Basta's shoulders, thus the fire dying down; Basta fearfully pats out the remaining flames)
- Mo: What are you not telling me?
- Dustfinger (walking away): I've seen her...she's not actually in the book...she's...
- Mo: Where?
- Dustfinger (stopping and turning to face Mo): In Capricorn's castle.
- Mo: And you didn't tell us?
- Dustfinger: We needed the book.
- Mo: We didn't need the book!
- Dustfinger: I needed the book!! (shoves Mo)
- Meggie: My Mum was right there and you didn't tell us?
- Dustfinger: Look... don't look at me like that, because if your father had known the truth, then he would never have agreed to help me get the book, and I need the book!
- Mo: You selfish, repugnant, weak character!
- Dusfinger: I... (pointing at Fegnolio) blame him! He wrote me that way!
- Fegnolio: I disagree!
- Mo: You tell me how to get her back!
- Dustfinger: Not until you promise to send me home.
- Mo (grabbing Dustfinger): Tell me how to get her back!
- Dustfinger (quietly): I'm missing my family too.
- Mo (looks shocked, lets Dustfinger go): Okay.
- Dustfinger: Promise?
- Mo: Promise.
- Basta(delivering Meggie's dinner): Food for the little princess. Capricorn wants you to have your strength for tonight.
- Fenoglio: You should stay; we're telling ghost stories. (Basta flinches) Oh, that's right. You don't like ghost stories.
- Basta: I'll give you ghost stories, you-!