Internet safety or online safety or cyber safety or E-Safety is trying to be safe on the internet and is the knowledge of maximizing the user's personal safety and security risks to private information and property associated with using the internet, and the self-protection from computer crime.
- w:Cybercrime affects each and every one of us. Every aspect of our lives is vulnerable to the criminal abuse of our networked world - not just by hackers and criminals, but by governments and foreign enemies
- Ben Hammersley in BBC World News commissions major new Cybercrime series] published 9 October 2014
- But when the world’s ‘safest’ internet is currently found in China, where access is heavily restricted and censored by the state, it becomes clear how terrifying the government’s safety agenda really could be.
- Fraser Myers, ‘Internet safety’ just means internet censorship (2018)
- What happens on social media doesn’t stay on social media. Online violence is real world violence.
- The internet is not divorced from other areas of life. It’s a place where every one of us spends a lot of work and leisure time. It is a public space for everyone.
- Johanna Vehkoo, Hate campaigns – What you should do (2019)
- Social media amplifies the volume and intensity of attacks on journalists, not least when platforms become vehicles for state-sponsored attacks. Large platforms have a responsibility to help curb harassment globally, but companies and governments who aim to get to grips with online hate speech can also overreach and undermine free speech.