Iron Man (2008 film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Directed by Jon Favreau. From a screenplay by Mark Fergus, Hawk Ostby, Art Marcum, and Matt Holloway.
Heroes aren't born. They're built. (taglines)
- [Stark is presenting his new Jericho missile system to a group of high-ranking military men] "Is it better to be feared or respected?" I say, is it too much to ask for both? With that in mind I humbly present you the crown jewel of Stark Industries' Freedom Line. It's the first missile system to incorporate the latest in proprietary Repulsor Technology. They say that the best weapon is the one that you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree. I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once. That's how Dad did it, that's how America does it…and it's worked out pretty well so far. Find an excuse to let one of these off the chain, and I personally guarantee you the bad guys won't even want to come out of their caves. [one of the missiles launches and heads for the mountains in the distance, when it nears, the missile launches a large number of smaller warheads] For your consideration…the Jericho. [missiles warheads detonate with a massive explosion and kick up a massive shock wave]
- [To Stark as he removes the arc reactor keeping him alive from his chest] Do you really think that just because you have an idea, it belongs to you? Your father, he helped give us the atomic bomb. Now, what kind of world would it be today if he was as selfish as you?
- How ironic, Tony! Trying to rid the world of weapons, you gave it its best one ever! And now, I'm gonna kill you with it!
- [Last words] Hold still, you little prick!
- Christine Everheart: Mr. Stark, you've been called the Da Vinci of our time. What do you say to that?
- Tony: Absolutely ridiculous, I don't paint.
- Everheart: What do you say to your other nickname, "The Merchant of Death"?
- Tony: That's not bad.
- [After Tony Stark's one-night-stand with Christine Everheart]
- Pepper Potts: I have your clothes here; they've been dry-cleaned and pressed. And there's a car waiting for you outside that will take you anywhere you'd like to go.
- Everheart: You must be the famous Pepper Potts.
- Pepper: [Smiling] Indeed I am.
- Everheart: After all these years, Tony still has you picking up the dry cleaning.
- Pepper: I do anything and everything Mr. Stark requires. Including, occasionally, taking out the trash. [Still smiling] Will that be all?
- Tony: [To a dying Yinsen, as he attempts a breakout in his new battlesuit] We gotta go. Come on, move with me. We have a plan, and we're going to stick to it.
- Yinsen: This was always the plan, Stark.
- Tony: Come on, you're going to go see your family. Get up.
- Yinsen: My family is dead, Stark. And I'm going to see them now. [Sees Tony is upset] It's okay. I want this. I want this.
- Tony: Thank you for saving me.
- Yinsen: Don't waste it. Don't waste your life, Stark. [Dies]
- [Tony Stark addresses a press conference]
- Tony: I never got to say goodbye to my father. There's questions I would've asked him. I would've asked him how he felt about what his company did, if he was conflicted, if he ever had doubts. Or maybe he was every inch of man we remember from the newsreels. I saw young Americans killed by the very weapons I created to defend them and protect them. And I saw that I had become part of a system that is comfortable with zero accountability.
- Press Reporter #1: Mr. Stark, what happened over there?
- Tony: I had my eyes opened. I came to realize that I had more to offer this world than just making things that blow up. And that is why, effective immediately, I am shutting down the weapons manufacturing division of Stark Industries. [Reporters become agitated]
- Tony: [After seeing the gold 3-D render of his suit] A little ostentatious, don't you think?
- J.A.R.V.I.S.: [Dripping with sarcasm] What was I thinking? You're usually so discreet.
- Tony: [Looks over at one of his vintage cars] Tell you what. Throw a little hot-rod red in there.
- J.A.R.V.I.S.: Oh yes. That should help you keep a low profile. [Seconds later] The render is complete.
- Tony: [Upon seeing the new render] Hey, I like it. Fabricate it, paint it.
- J.A.R.V.I.S.: Beginning automated assembly. Estimated completion time is five hours.
- Tony: [Stands to leave for the event at Disney Hall] Don't wait up for me, honey.
- [After Pepper finds out about Tony's activities with his suit]
- Pepper: Tony... you know that I would help you with anything, but I cannot help you if you're gonna start all of this again.
- Tony: There is nothing except this. There's no art opening, there is no benefit, there is nothing to sign. There is the next mission, and nothing else.
- Pepper: Is that so? Well, then I quit. [Starts to walk out]
- Tony: You stood by my side all these years while I reaped the benefits of destruction. And now that I'm trying to protect the people that I've put in harm's way, you're gonna walk out?
- Pepper: You're going to kill yourself, Tony. I'm not going to be a part of it.
- Tony: I shouldn't be alive... unless it was for a reason. I'm not crazy, Pepper. I just finally know what I have to do. And I know, in my heart, that it's right.
- Riva: Mr. Stane. Sir, we've explored what you've asked of us and it seems as though there's a little hiccup. Actually, um...
- Stane: A hiccup?
- Riva: Yes, to power the suit... sir, the technology doesn't actually exist. So it...
- Stane: Wait, wait, the technology? [Gestures towards the Arc Reactor] William, William... here is the technology! I've asked you to simply make it smaller.
- Riva: Yes, sir, and that's what we're trying to do, but honestly, it's impossible.
- Stane: [Yelling] TONY STARK WAS ABLE TO BUILD THIS IN A CAVE! WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!
- Riva: Well, I'm sorry. I'm not Tony Stark.
- [Iron Monger pursues Iron Man to high altitudes; Iron Monger grabs Iron Man's thruster moments later]
- Iron Monger: You had a great idea, Tony, but my suit is more advanced in every way!
- Iron Man: How'd you solve the icing problem?
- Iron Monger: "Icing problem"? [Ice forms over suit, "eyes" flicker and go out, and its thrusters shut off]
- Iron Man: Might wanna look into it. [Thumps Stane on the helmet and sends him tumbling back to Earth]
- [Post-credits scene: Tony reaches home]
- Tony: J.A.R.V.I.S.
- J.A.R.V.I.S.: [Distorted] Welcome home, sir. [J.A.R.V.I.S. cuts out]
- [Tony notices a figure by the window looking outside]
- Man: "I am Iron Man." You think you're the only superhero in the world? Mr. Stark, you've become part of a bigger universe. You just don't know it yet.
- Tony: Who are you?
- Man: [Appears in light] Nick Fury, director of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Tony: [Nonchalantly] Ah.
- Fury: I'm here to talk to you about the Avenger Initiative.
About Iron Man (2008 film)
- They had no script, man. They had an outline. We would show up for big scenes every day and we wouldn't know what we were going to say. We would have to go into our trailer and work on this scene and call up writers on the phone, 'You got any ideas?' Meanwhile the crew is tapping their foot on the stage waiting for us to come on.
You've got the suits from Marvel in the trailer with us saying, 'No, you wouldn't say that. You would think with a $200 million movie you'd have the shit together, but it was just the opposite. And the reason for that is because they get ahead of themselves. They have a release date before the script, ‘Oh, we'll have the script before that time,' and they don't have their shit together.
- Jeff Bridges, "Jeff Bridges Admits Iron Man Movie Had No Script", Meredith Woerner, IO9, (12/02/09).
- "What I usually hate about these [superhero] movies [is] when suddenly the guy that you were digging turns into Dudley Do-Right, and then you're supposed to buy into all his 'Let's go do some good!' That Eliot Ness-in-a-cape-type thing. What was really important to me was to not have him change so much that he's unrecognizable. When someone used to be a schmuck and they're not anymore, hopefully they still have a sense of humor.
- Robert Downey Jr. as quoted in Carroll, Larry (March 18, 2008). "Iron Man Star Robert Downey Jr. Talks About Incredible Hulk Cameo, Controversial Tropic Thunder Pics". MTV. Archived from the original on March 19, 2008. Retrieved March 18, 2008.
- Me and my effects supervisor John Nelson worked with the Stan Winston studios to build practical suits and we were working with the team from ILM who, a lot of them, had worked on Transformers. We got to benefit from a lot of the technology they broke through for that production which really makes Iron Man photo-real. As you might know, I’m not a fan of CGI per-se so I was very demanding that we make the effects as photo-real as possible.
Well that’s what Jurassic Park did and that’s why I think it holds up so well today. There are relatively few [CGI] shots in Jurassic Park; a lot of that stuff is robotics, animatronics. You have to mix practical with computer generated and so there was stuff we did that was seen as wasteful sometimes when we were budgeting.
When Iron Man’s flying we’d send real planes up to do the choreography so that we’d get the camerawork to really look like a cameraman was following from another plane. It gives it that Top Gun look. One of the first things I did was I sat down all the people working on the visual effects and we screened scenes from Top Gun and scenes from Stealth and I said, “Why does Top Gun look so much more real?” Stealth had all of this money, technology and state-of-the-art effects and it looks like you’re watching a videogame.
We figured out that a lot of it had to do with how restrained the camera was. Don’t give the camera too much freedom or choreography. Get the shading right, the lighting right and there are things you can do to make the CGI look more real. People end up going crazy and give themselves a little too much freedom in how they use CGI and if you overuse it, it draws attention to itself.
- John Favreau, "RT Interivew: John Favreau On Iron Man, Effective Cgi And The New Marvel Movies", Joe Utichi Rotten Tomatoes, (28 April 2008).
- Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark / Iron Man
- Terrence Howard as Lt. Col James "Rhodey" Rhodes
- Jeff Bridges as Obadiah Stane
- Shaun Toub as Ho Yinsen
- Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts
- Faran Tahir as Raza
- Paul Bettany as J.A.R.V.I.S.
- Leslie Bibb as Christine Everhart