Jump to navigation Jump to search
James Bamford (born September 15, 1946) is an American author, journalist and documentary producer noted for his writing about United States intelligence agencies, especially the National Security Agency (NSA).
- Codenamed Operation Northwoods, the plan, which had the written approval of the Chairman and every member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, called for innocent people to be shot on American streets; for boats carrying refugees fleeing Cuba to be sunk on the high seas; for a wave of violent terrorism to be launched in Washington, D.C., Miami, and elsewhere. People would be framed for bombings they did not commit; planes would be hijacked. Using phony evidence, all of it would be blamed on Castro, thus giving Lemnitzer and his cabal the excuse, as well as the public and international backing, they needed to launch their war.
- Body of Secrets: Anatomy of the Ultra-Secret National Security Agency (2001). Anchor Books. p. 82.
- Like a black hole, NSA pulls in every signal that comes near, but no electron is ever allowed to escape.
- The Shadow Factory: The Ultra-secret NSA from 9/11 to the Eavesdropping on America (2008), Doubleday, p. 14.
- There is now the capacity to make tyranny total in America. Only law ensures that we never fall into that abyss—the abyss from which there is no return.
- The Shadow Factory: The Ultra-secret NSA from 9/11 to the Eavesdropping on America (2008), Doubleday, p. 345.