James Dean (film)
James Dean is a 2001 biographical television movie based on the life of the actor of the same name, from his beginnings as a young boy to his rise as a famous actor. The film stars James Franco, Michael Moriarty, Valentina Cervi and Mark Rydell as Jack Warner.
- "I decided to move to New York. Every actor I cared about- Brando, Clift, even Whitmore- all worked in New York. New York was big and lonely- i loved it. Being a struggling actor in New York in the nineteen-fifties was the best, it was the right place at the right time. Stop worrying about my mother and father for a while. I was dead broke- didn't matter, 'cause I was home."
- (On the set of Giant) You know you keep me waiting for hours preparing for some scene. You never get around for shooting. Co's I aint working today. And you do it again, I'm gonna take two days and than three.
- "I'm playing the drums! Go to hell!".
- I don't want to be just good. I want to be great.
- (To Pier Angeli) Tell Vic Damone and your crazy mother, to stay out of our lives.
- I'm not even interested in this glitzy glamour crap! all right! If you wanna wear monkey suits! that's fine! Not me!
- Martin Landau: [about an audition] You never know. I mean look at me; when I tried out for "Tennessee Williams" I thought I was terrible.
- James Dean: You were terrible... you didn't get the part.
- Martin Landau: Just a detail.
- Winton Dean: That's a nice car.
- James Dean: Yeah, it's alluminum. They only made 30.
- Winton Dean: Must have cost a lot.
- James Dean: Well, I got a lot.
- Martin Landau: What's your name?
- James Dean: I can't decide.
- Martin Landau: What are your choices.
- James Dean: I've got James Dean, Jimmy Dean, Byron Dean.
- Martin Landau: Which one's your real name.
- James Dean: James, Byron's my middle name.
- Martin Landau: Go with your real name.
- James Dean: You think?
- Martin Landau: I know. Jimmy's an eight year old boy, and Byron's a dead poet with a crooked foot.
- James Dean: James is king (laughs) What's your name?
- Martin Landau: Martin Landau.
(They shake hands)
- James Dean: Where are you from?
- Martin Landau: Why do you wanna come home and meet my mom.
- Elia Kazan: Have a seat.
(James sits down)
- Elia Kazan: Tell us about yourself Jimmy.
- James Dean: Well, (pauses) you know, there's not much to tell. I was born in Indiana and moved out to California when I was five, till I was nine. My mother died, and then I was sent back to Indiana to live with my aunt and uncle.
- Elia Kazan: What was it like living on a farm?
(pauses, takes out a swiss army knife from his pocket, fiddles with it)
- James Dean: I wasn't much of a farmer. I rode on a motorcycle. (laughs) I used to chase the cows, they'd starting running and others swinging from side to side.
- Elia Kazan: How about your father?
- James Dean: Well, we don't really talk much. We don't like each other. (starts jabbing the knife into his chair) In fact we hate each other. See I'm an actor cause it's the best way I know how to express myself, I'm not very good with talking. I think you can tell.
- Jack Warner: [About the 50 Spyder race car] You know that uh...Car racing is for idiots. Well, your working for me and I say no racing cars. [Looks at Dean, who smiles] You find that funny huh? [Dean nods] I'm signing a deal that would pay you a million dollars and for a millions dollars I'm telling you, no more racing cars.
- James Dean: When I'm not shooting...
- Jack Warner: Beg your pardon?
- James Dean: When I'm not shooting, I'm on my own, Jack. If you don't like that, you can take...
- Jack Warner: [Stops Dean] You're gonna say something, you're gonna regret.
- The stars that burn brightest burn quickest.