James Oliver Eastland (November 28, 1904 – February 19, 1986) was the United States Senator from Mississippi in 1941 and from 1943 to 1978. A Democrat, he served as President pro tempore of the Senate (1972–1978) and Chairman on the Judiciary (1956–1978). He is best know as a member of southern conservative wing of the party, favored racial segregation.
- On May 17, 1954, the Constitution of the United States was destroyed because of the Supreme Court's decision. You are not obliged to obey the decisions of any court which are plainly fraudulent sociological considerations.
- On the Supreme Court ruling in Brown v. The Board of Education, which found racial segregation in the public schools unconstitutional
- Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
- Other Eastland's quote against Brown
- I don't like you — or your kind.
- To fellow Senator Jacob Javits (R-NY), who was at this time the only Jewish-American Senator
- The niggers caused it, helped out some by the Communists.
- About three civil rights worker missing in Mississippi (according to President Lyndon B. Johnson)
- I believe it’s a publicity stunt.
- About case of these missing civil rights workers (also according to Johnson)
- The Southern institution of racial segregation or racial separation was the correct, self-evident truth which arose from the chaos and confusion of the Reconstruction period. Separation promotes racial harmony. It permits each race to follow its own pursuits, and its own civilization. Segregation is not discrimination… Mr. President, it is the law of nature, it is the law of God, that every race has both the right and the duty to perpetuate itself. All free men have the right to associate exclusively with members of their own race, free from governmental interference, if they so desire.
- Speech on the Senate floor
- Jim Eastland could be standing right in the middle of the worst Mississippi flood ever known and blame it on the negroes helped by the communists.
- Lyndon Johnson