- The civil libertarians among us would rather defend the constitution than protect our nation’s security.
- This country does not discriminate. No president, no officer in this country should hold office that has any hint of treating people differently because of the color of their skin or where they came from and that kind of thing. We believe in equality and fair treatment and that's the moral principle that we adhere to as a nation.
- Interview with Matt Murphy (2016)
- We don't pay judges to think; we pay judges to rule on the law.
- Regarding judicial activism while debating on the Senate floor on 06 June 2005 regarding the nomination of Janice Rogers Brown to the federal judiciary.