James William "Jim" Ross (born January 3, 1952, in Fort Bragg, California) is a professional wrestling commentator, referee, restaurateur, and former WWE executive. He currently serves as a commentator on WWE's NXT, and Raw programs. 
As a play-by-play commentator Ross keeps the viewers' interest with a range of legendary catchphrases which have been well documented and plastered to many of World Wrestling Entertainment's greatest moments. These include:
- "Austin's stompin' a mudhole and walkin' it dry!" (usually said when Professional Wrestler Steve Austin is stomping his opponent in the corner) 
- "Business is about to pick up here!" (usually said when someone music/pyro hits) 
- "He's not just trying to hurt the man - he's out to end his career!" (usually said when a heavyweight or superheavyweight is destroying his opponent) 
- "[...] is being "whipped like a government mule!" (usually said when someone is taking a beating)
- "[...] is running like a scolded dog!"
- "It's gonna be a Slobberknocker!" (said usually referring to the match) 
- "He's been left high and dry" (when someone has missed a top rope maneuver)
- "Austin is the champion, Stone Cold! Stone Cold! Stone Cold!"
- "Aw, son of a bitch!"
- "AS GOD AS MY WITNESS, HE IS BROKEN IN HALF!"
- "I just had an out of body experience!"
- "Look at the Carnage"
- "Good God Almighty!"
- "Jim Ross and Jerry "The King" Lawler with ya Live!"
- "This is Monday Night Raw!"
Ross also has been credited for giving nicknames to many professional wrestlers in his commentary these include:
- "Great Athletes" and sometimes "Greatest Athletes in the world today!" (when talking about WWE Superstars) 
- "It's that rabid wolverine, Chris Benoit!" 
- "Jamie 'By God' Noble" (When Jamie Noble would hit an offensive move)
- "It's the cerebral assassin" (when talking about Triple H) 
- "Jezebel!" (when talking about a female heel (villain) wrestler) 
- "The World's Angriest announcer" (when talking about Tazz in his blogs) 
- (A) "Walrus", a "Poor Excuse for a human being and "No part human." (when talking about Paul Heyman)
- "Mr Wrestlemania, Shawn Michaels"
- Ross, Jim (January 5, 2008). J.R.'s Blog » Happy New Year Everyone! Lots of Feedback Answered Today... Life Goes On... and So Does Work.... JRsBarBQ.com. Retrieved on 2008-01-06.
- For testimonials on Ross's career as well as Ross's speech detailing his early career, see the induction video from his WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2007 induction as part of the Wrestlemania 23 DVD set.
- Ross, Jim (January 5, 2008). J.R.'s WWE Profile. JRsBarBQ.com. Retrieved on 2008-01-06.
- Ross, Jim (January 5, 2008). J.R.'s imdb Profile. JRsBarBQ.com. Retrieved on 2008-01-06.
- Ross, Jim (January 5, 2008). Nicknames. JRsBarBQ.com. Retrieved on 2008-01-06.
- Fauber, Gary (2008-07-26). From small town to big time. The Register-Herald. Retrieved on 2008-07-28.
- Ross, Jim (January 5, 2008). Angriest Announcer. JRsBarBQ.com. Retrieved on 2008-01-06.