James William "Jim" Ross (born January 3, 1952, in Fort Bragg, California) is a professional wrestling commentator, referee, restaurateur, and former WWE executive. He is widely regarded by his peers as the greatest play-by-play announcer in professional wrestling history. 
As a play-by-play commentator Ross keeps the viewers' interest with a range of legendary catchphrases which have been well documented and plastered to many of World Wrestling Entertainment's greatest moments. These include:
- "Austin's stompin' a mudhole and walkin' it dry!" (usually said when Professional Wrestler Steve Austin is stomping his opponent in the corner) 
- "Business is about to pick up here!" (usually said when someone music/pyro hits) 
- "He's not just trying to hurt the man - he's out to end his career!" (usually said when a heavyweight or superheavyweight is destroying his opponent) 
- "[...] is being "whipped like a government mule!" (usually said when someone is taking a beating)
- "[...] is running like a scolded dog! (usually said when a heel wrestler flees from a fight)"
- "It's gonna be a Slobberknocker!" (said usually referring to the match) 
- "He's tougher than a two-dollar steak!"
- "He's been left high and dry" (when someone has missed a top rope maneuver)
- "AS GOD AS MY WITNESS, HE IS BROKEN IN HALF!" (most famously uttered during the Undertaker vs Mankind match at King of the Ring 1998)
Ross also has been credited for giving nicknames to many professional wrestlers in his commentary these include:
- "Great Athletes" and sometimes "Greatest Athletes in the world today!" (when talking about WWE Superstars) 
- "It's that rabid wolverine, Chris Benoit!" 
- "It's the cerebral assassin" (when talking about Triple H) 
- "Jezebel!" (when talking about a female heel (villain) wrestler) 
- "The World's Angriest announcer" (when talking about Tazz in his blogs) 
- (A) "Walrus", a "Poor Excuse for a human being", "a hemorrhage on the buttcheek of life" and "no part human." (when talking about Paul Heyman)
- Ross, Jim (January 5, 2008). J.R.'s Blog » Happy New Year Everyone! Lots of Feedback Answered Today... Life Goes On... and So Does Work.... JRsBarBQ.com. Retrieved on 2008-01-06.
- For testimonials on Ross's career as well as Ross's speech detailing his early career, see the induction video from his WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2007 induction as part of the Wrestlemania 23 DVD set.
- Ross, Jim (January 5, 2008). J.R.'s WWE Profile. JRsBarBQ.com. Retrieved on 2008-01-06.
- Ross, Jim (January 5, 2008). J.R.'s imdb Profile. JRsBarBQ.com. Retrieved on 2008-01-06.
- Ross, Jim (January 5, 2008). Nicknames. JRsBarBQ.com. Retrieved on 2008-01-06.
- Fauber, Gary (2008-07-26). From small town to big time. The Register-Herald. Retrieved on 2008-07-28.
- Ross, Jim (January 5, 2008). Angriest Announcer. JRsBarBQ.com. Retrieved on 2008-01-06.