John J. McNeill
Jump to navigation Jump to search
John J. McNeill (1924 or 1925 – September 22, 2015) was a Catholic priest, psychotherapist and academic theologian in the United States, with a particular reputation within the field of queer theology.
Taking a Chance on God (1988)
- Boston: Beacon Press. Full title Taking a Chance on God: Liberating Theology for Gays, Lesbians, and Their Lovers, Families, and Friends
- One's whole life can be caught up in this attitude with the result that the quality of life is destroyed. The high-school student waits for graduation; the college student waits for graduate school; the graduate student waits for a job; the worker waits for a vacation; the vacationer waits to go back to work; the veteran worker waits for retirement. Our whole life can be spent waiting for what comes next. Then death intervenes and in a way it can be said that we never really existed, because we never found time to do something for its own sake; that is to say, we never played.
- p. 114
Freedom, Glorious Freedom (1995)
- Boston: Beacon Press. Full title Freedom, Glorious Freedom: The Spiritual Journey to the Fullness of Life for Gays, Lesbians, and Everybody Else
- The cornerstone role is a real challenge. But you can be certain that if you are gay or lesbian the Holy Spirit is calling you to take some steps in that direction, to be more open about your gayness, to be more open about the depth of your spiritual life. We must seek God's guidance because a cornerstone, after all, is a small, if essential, part of a building, the entirety of which is the work of the Holy Spirit. The Spirit waits on our freedom to invite her in to make use of our gifts and talents in bringing about the reign of God, a reign of justice and peace, a reign where God's glory is achieved through the fullness of life that all humans share, gay and straight alike.
- p. 193
Quotes about McNeill
- John J. McNeill was a Jesuit for nearly forty years before being expelled from the Society of Jesus in 1987 for his views on gay and lesbian sexuality. Since 1975 he has practiced psychotherapy in New York City. The Church and the Homosexual, also available from Beacon Press.
- About the author on the dust jacket of Taking a Chance on God: Liberating Theology for Gays, Lesbians, and Their Lovers, Families, and Friends (1988). Boston: Beacon Press.