John Scott, 1st Earl of Eldon
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- It is better that the law should be certain than that every judge should speculate upon improvements in it.
- Sheldon v. Goodrich, 8 Ves. 481, 497 (1803)
- I always thought it better to allow myself to doubt before I decided, than to expose myself to the misery, after I had decided, of doubting whether I had decided rightly and justly.
- In Horace Twiss, The Public and Private Life of Lord Chancellor Eldon (1844), p. 350
Quotes about Lord Eldon
- I was with you, Mr. Scott — till I heard your argument.
- Edward Thurlow, 1st Baron Thurlow, related by Scott in Horace Twiss, The Public and Private Life of Lord Chancellor Eldon (1844), p. 79