Jude is a 1996 English film, based on the novel Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy, about of a stonemason pursuing the cousin he loves even though both are married.
His world could never change... Until she became his world. Taglines
- Directed by Michael Winterbottom. Screenplay written by Hossein Amini; Based on the novel Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy.
- Haven't we been punished enough?
- Please don't call me a clever girl, Mr Phillotson, there are too many of us these days.
- [Sue has just spurned Jude again] Promise me you'll never stop trying.
- It's right that I suffer.
- They locked me up for being out with you, so I jumped out of the window, climbed over a fence, crossed the deepest river in England and here I am!
- You're still Joseph, the dreamer of dreams. And the tragic Don Quixote. Sometimes you are a St. Stephen, who sees Heaven open up, even as they're stoning him.
- [last lines] We are man and wife, if ever were two people on this earth.
- Sue Bridehead: Why are you looking at me like that?
- Jude Fawley: Does it scare you?
- Sue Bridehead: No. I am not afraid of any man.
- Jude Fawley: Why?
- Sue Bridehead: Because no man would touch a woman unless she gives him a reason to. A touch or a look that say come on. If you never look, they'll never come. You are the timid sex.
- Sue Bridehead: I would have liked to have talked with her before she died.
- Jude Fawley: She would have enjoyed that.
- Sue Bridehead: What did she say?
- Jude Fawley: She said we both make bad husbands and wives.
- Sue Bridehead: Do I irritate you?
- Jude Fawley: No.
- Sue Bridehead: Even though I'm always trying to prove how cleverer than you I am.
- Jude Fawley: You are!
- Sue Bridehead: Don't say that!
- Jude Fawley: Why not?
- Sue Bridehead: Because it's not the sort of thing you should admit to!
- Jude Fawley: Even if it's true?
- His world could never change... Until she became his world.
- A time without pity. A society without mercy. A love without equal.
- It is a difficult question to answer... Whether to follow your dreams... Or to let life lead you where it will.
- It is a difficult question for any man to answer... Whether to follow his dreams no matter what... Or to give in slowly and let life lead you where it will.