Kent "KT" Thiry (born February 2, 1956) is Chairman and CEO of DaVita HealthCare Partners Inc., a Fortune 500 company that, through its operating divisions, provides a variety of health care services to patient populations throughout the United States and abroad. The management philosophy that Kent has created has been discussed and shared in various forums including business school case studies, national periodicals and speeches.
- Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, leadership is in the eyes of the led.
- We say we are a community first and a company second. That doesn't mean we don't care about profit, but that's a means, not the end.
- Insights by Stanford Business: Kent Thiry: Developing Successful Leaders Takes a Village (18 November 2011)
Vanderbilt Commencement Address (2011)
- While growing your management skill...you set out to learn more about business. To grow yourself as a leader is a human thing. For that you must set out to learn more about humans, and yourself.
- Speak your dreams, no one climbs a mountain accidentally.
- [When it comes to leadership] intentionality rules.
- Leadership is not a function of position, it is a function of behavior.
University of Colorado Leeds School of Business Commencement Address (2013)
- You are the leader other people experience you to be. If you don't have insight into how other people experience any of your behavioral deficiencies then you are not ready to take that momentous first step of leadership.
- Intentionality Rules. Leadership is not about charisma, it's not about being articulate, it's about being yourself and caring about others.
- Management is a business skill; you can study it and learn about it. Leadership is a human skill; to become a better leader you need to learn more about humans, starting with yourself.
- Leaders are stewards. They understand the proverb, "We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."