Key is word which refers to physical devices used to open locks such as those in a door, or presentation devices which provide information necessary to proper understanding of other things, such as a guide to a map, chart, graph, plot or diagram, or a key to a cryptography algorithm. Metaphorically, it is often applied to anything considered important or indispensable.
- I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.
- Key metaphors help determine what and how we perceive and how we think about our perceptions.
- A soulmate is someone who has locks that fit our keys, and keys to fit our locks. When we feel safe enough to open the locks, our truest selves step out and we can be completely and honestly who we are; we can be loved for who we are and not for who we’re pretending to be. Each unveils the best part of the other. No matter what else goes wrong around us, with that one person we’re safe in our own paradise. Our soulmate is someone who shares our deepest longings, our sense of direction. When we’re two balloons, and together our direction is up, chances are we’ve found the right person. Our soulmate is the one who makes life come to life.
- Richard Bach, in The Bridge Across Forever : A Lovestory (1989), p. 388
- This kid may be the key not just to all human potential, but to all spiritual unexplained paranormal phenomena. The key to everything in The X-Files.
- When God has sent his angel to me, then I know of a surety. ... When God sends his angel to the soul it becomes the one who knows for sure. Not for nothing did God give the keys into St. Peter's keeping, for Peter stands for knowledge, and knowledge is the key that unlocks the door, presses forward and breaks in, to discover God as he is.
- Meister Eckhart, in Sermon 9, as translated in The Reading and Preaching of the Scriptures in the Worship of the Christian Church (1999) by Hughes Oliphant Old, Chapter 9 : The German Mystics, p. 448
- The key is to keep company only with people who uplift you, whose presence calls forth your best.
- Epictetus, as quoted in The Art of Living : The Classic Manual on Virtue, Happiness, and Effectiveness, A New Interpretation by Sharon Lebell (1994)
- If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they're gone.
- Jack Handey, in Deeper Thoughts : All New, All Crispy (1993)
- I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
- Prophets hold a key to the lock in a language. The mechanical image remains only an image to them. This is not a mechanical universe.
- Love is the master-key that opens the gates of happiness, of hatred, of jealousy, and, most easily of all, the gate of fear. How terrible is the one fact of beauty!
- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. in A Mortal Antipathy (1885) This statement is often misquoted as "Love is the master-key that opens the gates of happiness."
- We can no longer afford to worship the God of hate or bow before the altar of retaliation. The oceans of history are made turbulent by the ever-rising tides of hate. History is cluttered with the wreckage of nations and individuals that pursued this self-defeating path of hate. Love is the key to the solution of the problems of the world.
- In oneself lies the whole world and if you know how to look and learn, the door is there and the key is in your hand. Nobody on earth can give you either the key or the door to open, except yourself.
- Jiddu Krishnamurti, as quoted in Perfecting Ourselves : Coordinating Body, Mind, and Spirit (2002) by Aaron Hoopes, p. 64
- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
- Children are the keys of Paradise … They alone are good and wise, Because their thoughts, their very lives, are prayer.
- Richard Henry Stoddard, in Songs of Summer (1856), p. 113
- Have the courage to say no. Have the courage to face the truth. Do the right thing because it is right. These are the magic keys to living your life with integrity.
- W. Clement Stone, as quoted in Teen Ink : What Matters (2003) by Stephanie H. Meyer, John Meyer, and Peggy Veljkovic, p. 309
- AWARENESS is the path to better choices.
Self-AWARENESS is the key to peace.
AWARENESS opens the mind and heart to new possibilities.
- Iyanla Vanzant in One Day My Soul Just Opened Up : 40 Days and 40 Nights Towards Spiritual Strength and Personal Growth (2000), p. 87
- We receive His peace when we ask Him for it. We keep His peace by extending it to others. Those are the keys and there are no others. Spiritual wisdom is now available to everyone, disseminated to the masses as never before in world history.
- Marianne Williamson, in Illuminata : Thoughts, Prayers, Rites of Passage (1994), Part I : Thoughts, Ch. 2 : The Luminous Mind, p. 29