Richard S. "Kinky" Friedman (born October 31, 1944) is an American singer, songwriter, novelist, humorist, politician, and former columnist for Texas Monthly. He was one of two independent candidates in the 2006 election for the office of Governor of Texas. Had he been successful, Friedman would have been the first independent candidate elected to the post since Sam Houston in 1859, as well as the first Jewish governor of Texas.
- Let Saigons be bygones / Don't you blow this world in two.
- "We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service to You", Sold American (1973)
- "Poly" means more than one, and ticks are bloodsucking parasites.
- No lesbian left behind.
- "Keep Gomorrah Weird", Texas Monthly (December 2004) http://www.texasmonthly.com/2004-12-01/friedman.php
- Find what you like, and let it kill you.
- 1986 September 18, Houston Chronicle, Section: Houston, “‘Just another side of me’ – Friedman swaps music for mystery” by Michael Spies (Houston Chronicle Staff), Quote Page 1, Houston, Texas. (NewsBank Access World News)