Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Directed by Michael Dougherty. Written by Todd Casey.
You Better Watch Out. (taglines)
- It started with the wind, on a cold night, much like this. It was almost Christmas, but this Christmas was darker, less cheerful. But I still believed in Santa, in magic and miracles, and the hope that we could find joy again. But our village had given up on miracles, and on each other. They had forgotten the spirit of Christmas, the sacrifice of giving. And my family was no different. I tried to help them to believe again, but we were no longer the loving family I remembered. They too had given up. And eventually, so did I. And for the first time, I didn't wish for a miracle. I wished for them to go away. A wish I would come to regret. And that night, in the darkness of a howling blizzard... I got my wish. I knew Saint Nicholas was not coming this year. Instead, it was a much darker, more ancient spirit. The shadow of Saint Nicholas. It was Krampus. And as he had for thousands of years, Krampus came not to reward, but to punish, not to give, but to take. He, and his helpers. I could only listen as they dragged my family into the underworld, knowing that I would be next. But Krampus didn't take me that night... He left me, as a reminder of what happens when hope is lost, when belief is forgotten... and the Christmas spirit dies.
- I'm old enough to know when life is coming at me with its pants down.
- Linda: It's Christmas. Nothing bad is going to happen on Christmas!
- Max: Are we going to be okay?
- [Omi talks in German]
- Max: What?
- Aunt Dorothy: She said we're fucked!
- Howard: We should have gone to stay with my brother!
- Linda: Your brother lives in a barn!
- Howard: Jesus was born in a barn!
- Omi: Please, listen...
- Aunt Dorothy: English. I knew it.
- Howard: You're not thinking of going after that snowplow alone, are you?
- Tom: Shepherd's gotta protect his flock.
- Jordan: We know you still believe in the big fat creeper!
- Max: I don't know what you're talking about!
- Stevie: [holds up Max's letter to Santa] Are you sure about that?
- Beth: [Max tries to get his letter back and Beth stops him] Stop!
- Stevie: [starts reading Max's letter] "Dear Santa, I know I haven't been great this year and I'm sorry for that, but I was really hoping you can help out me and my family this Christmas. We need you!" Oh, Maxi-Pad. That is so s...
- Beth: [stops Max from getting his letter back] Stop, Max!
- Stevie: Blah blah blah. Bullshit, bullshit. Ah, here we go, Maxie's wishlist!
- Beth: Stevie, stop! That's enough!
- Stevie: Wait, you're up first, Beth! [reading the letter] "I wish me and Beth could hang out like we used to. Might've noticed that I don't have tons of friends." Oh no, really Max? "I wish my Mom and Dad could fall in love again. I know they get upset a lot with Dad away from home so much. I think they really just miss each other." [Linda comes in] "Also, I wish things weren't so hard for Uncle Howard and Aunt Linda. So, maybe you can lend them a hand for the rest of the year. And... and that..." [angrily facing Max] Screw you, Dad does not wish we were boys!
- Sarah: [smilingly enters the dining room] Who wants crème brûlée?
- Max: Give me the letter!
- Tom: Hey! Max?
- Howard: Alright, that's enough!
- Tom: You okay? Honey!
- Max: I just wanted Christmas to be like it used to be, but forget it! I hate Christmas! I hate all of you!
- [angrily and tearfully runs up to his room]
- Sarah: Max? Max!
- Aunt Dorothy: Oh, lay off of him! Kid deserves a prize for telling the truth!
- You Better Watch Out.
- I knew there was going to be a bit of an uproar, but you know, I love Christmas, too. It’s a pro-Christmas film, but in order to get that point across, it sort of takes you through a waking nightmare. One of my biggest inspirations was A Christmas Carol, which is a ghost story, and a really scary nightmare if you think about it. It takes you through this nightmare in order to just reaffirm the true meaning of the holiday, and we really wanted to do something similar.
- Adam Scott — Tom Engel
- Toni Collette — Sarah Engel
- Emjay Anthony — Max Engel
- Krista Stadler — Omi Engel
- David Koechner — Howard
- Allison Tolman — Linda
- Conchata Ferrell — Aunt Dorothy
- Stefania LaVie Owen — Beth Engel
- Gideon Emery — Krampus (voice)