Kubo and the Two Strings
Kubo and the Two Strings is a 2016 American 3D stop-motion action fantasy film directed and produced by Travis Knight and written by Marc Haimes and Chris Butler. It stars the voices of Charlize Theron, Art Parkinson, Ralph Fiennes, Rooney Mara, George Takei, and Matthew McConaughey. It is Laika's fourth feature film produced. The film revolves around Kubo, a young boy who wields a magical shamisen-(a Japanese guitar) and whose left eye was stolen during infancy. Accompanied by an anthropomorphic snow monkey and beetle, he must subdue his mother's corrupted Sisters and his power-hungry grandfather Raiden, who is responsible for stealing his left eye.
- [singing] From more will need together--
- Kubo: Monkey, I think he's in trouble! We should help him!
- Monkey: Kubo, your aunts are still out there! I'm sorry, but we have to head for shore!
- [Kubo jumps in the water, leaving Monkey distraught]
- Monkey: Kubo! [runs across the leafy galleon and jumps off to dive in for Kubo, but a mechanical hand attached to a chain grabs her by the leg and pulls her back onto the deck. She looks up above her as Karasu gently floats down towards the boat holding the chain in her hand]
- Karasu: Oh, how precious. I come here to fish, and all I reel in is a wretched ape. it is a shame that this filthy creature is all that's left of my sister's magic.
- Monkey: This filthy creature will tear you APART!
- [runs to Karasu with a sword in her hands, jumps up and strikes at her who blocks the attack with a sword of her own]
- Monkey: Let me guess, you have questions.
- Kubo: Why did—?
- Beetle: I'll start. First question - if I'm Beetle and you're Monkey, why isn’t he called boy?
- Monkey: Oh, boy.
- Kubo: If you must blink, do it now.
- [strums the strings and it lights the lanterns on the water]
- Kubo: I know why you want my eye. Because without it, I can't look into the eyes of another and see their soul. Their love...
- Raiden the Moon King: Everything you loved is GONE! Everything you knew has been taken from you!
- Kubo: No... it's in the memories. The most powerful kind of magic there is.
- [strums the strings again and summons the spirits from the lanterns, much to the Moon Beast's anger]
- Kubo: It makes us stronger than you'll ever be. These are the memories of those we've have loved and lost. And if we hold their stories, deep in our hearts… then you will never take them away from us.