L. S. Lowry
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Laurence Stephen Lowry (1 November 1887 – 23 February 1976) was an English artist born in Stretford, Lancashire
|This article about a person or group of people is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
Tynes Tees Television Interview 1968
- You cannot teach painting because everyone's colour sense is different. But drawing..you either get it right or wrong. You can tell whether people have drawn from life from their pictures.
- I've a one track mind, sir. Poverty and gloom. Never a joyous picture of mine you'll see.Always gloom. I never do a jolly picture.
- I don't care tuppence for what they do in London in the art world. It doesn't matter to me. I don't think of it. All I am concerned with is doing my own thing in my own way.. as well as I can.
- Mister Lowry- interview Tyne Tees Television 1968 L. S. Lowry - A Biography by Shelley Rhode Lowry Press 1999 ISBN 9781902970011.
Interview tapes Cotton & Mullineux
- An artist can't produce great art unless he has a philosophy.He can't say something unlee he has something to say.
- I am not an artist just someone who paints.
- A street is not a street without people..the composition was incidental to the people.
- I don't pretend to be a gentleman, but I am entitled to paint what I see
- Interview tapes with G B Cotton & Frank Mullineux (undated)L. S. Lowry - A Biography by Shelley Rhode Lowry Press 1999 ISBN 9781902970011.
- I look upon human beings as automatons..because they all think they can do what they want but they can't.They are not free.No one is
- Maitland Tapes-interview with Prof. Hugh Maitland 1970 L. S. Lowry - A Biography by Shelley Rhode Lowry Press 1999 ISBN 9781902970011.
- You don't need brains to be a painter, just feelings
- Interview with Frank & Vicent Tilsley. Lancashire Made them .News Chronicle & Daily Dispatch 1 Dec 1955.
- I see lots of people everywhere, one lot going one way and the other lot going in the opposite way, as a rule.
- Response in a letter to David Carr 9 Dec 1943 concerning his style L. S. Lowry - A Biography by Shelley Rhode Lowry Press 1999 ISBN 9781902970011.
- Without knowing what it was, I had an instinctive feeling that the time had come to drop industrials (paintings) .Now I feel more strongly than ever that the figures stand on their own two feet.
- Tape interview with Monty Bloom L. S. Lowry - A Biography by Shelley Rhode Lowry Press 1999 ISBN 9781902970011.
- All my life I have felt most strongly against social distinction of any kind. I have at all time tried to paint to the best of my ability and would only hope that any remembrance of me when I'm am gone will be base on my work.
- Letter of 1967 and 1970 to Prime Ministers Wilson and Heath declining knighthood.L. S. Lowry - A Biography by Shelley Rhode Lowry Press 1999 ISBN 9781902970011.