Jump to navigation Jump to search
Lane Nishikawa is a Japanese American actor, filmmaker, playwright and performance artist.
- I would always approach a show from the perspective of what I wanted to say historically, politically and socially. I examine the Asian American experience through my eyes and my perceptions. One thing I can tell you is that people who come to one of my shows, will leave the theater with a totally different perspective of the Asian American male…
- On shifting perspectives in “YuYu interview Lane Nishikawa” in San Diego YuYu (2007 Apr 3)
- Much of the time, we’re still looked at as foreigners, despite being here for four or five generations. This gives an overview of our experiences, how varied they are. Really, I want Asian Americans to look at ourselves, to be proud of our heritage. For non-Asians, I just want to inform. . . . Of course, I hope everybody is entertained along the way.
- On his one-man show I’m on a Mission From Buddha and artistry in “‘Mission’ Accomplished? Not Yet, but Closer: Theater: Lane Nishikawa, star of a one-man show about diversity, says mainstream representation of Asian Americans is better than it was.” in Los Angeles Times (1995 Apr 18)
- I try to get everybody to enter my world real quickly. I think the audience starts to see that it’s a person going through a struggle, (and) with each performance piece, the exchange just keeps growing.
- On his writing technique in “‘Mission’ Accomplished? Not Yet, but Closer: Theater: Lane Nishikawa, star of a one-man show about diversity, says mainstream representation of Asian Americans is better than it was.” in Los Angeles Times (1995 Apr 18)
- I never interviewed someone so that I could put his story in the film. There is no specific person that I had in mind when I was writing the script. It just seemed that when I was ready to put it together, my head was filled with so many stories and people that it just flowed out. I almost didn’t have to think, just feel.
- On his film Only The Brave in [http://www.discovernikkei.org/en/journal/2007/11/8/only-the-brave/ “