Jump to navigation Jump to search
Lauren Manning (born 1961) is an American author, entrepreneur, and businesswoman. One of the most severely injured survivors of the September 11, 2001 terror attacks, she spent over six months in the hospital during her initial recovery from 82.5% total body burn injuries. Her injuries and recovery were widely documented by national and international press, and her memoir Unmeasured Strength was published in 2011.
- For years I've been privileged to receive words of thanks and encouragement from people all over the world, often simply asking how I'm doing. I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to share my story in the hope it will continue to resonate with people facing challenges in their own lives.
- Sept. 11 burn survivor, Lauren Manning, has book deal as quoted in Association Press, 10 January 2011
- I was asked by thousands of people if I was going to write a book. A lot of them had shared in my story, and in ways I don't quite understand, they had found it helpful.
- Survivor Lauren Manning finds 'new normal' after 9/11, USA Today, 29 August 2011
Unmeasured Strength (2011)
- All of us have been wounded in some way, whether by violence, disease or other personal tragedy. But though we can never pretend we have not been touched by adversity, we can refuse to be held by it.
- Every day you have a choice. Make it count.
- It’s not about how strong you were back then, it is about how strong you are right here right now.
- It’s my reality, I put a Band-Aid on it and I move on.
Quotes about Manning
- Lauren Manning has been very much front and center in my mind… Lauren writes that we may all in fact, we all will be touched by adversity as we go on our life’s journey, but we can refuse to be trapped by it.
- Hillary Clinton, Smart Power Approach to Counterterrorism speech at John Jay School of Criminal Justice, United States Department of State, 9 September 2011
- In just these last few years as President, I have watched the American people bounce back from... events [that] were heartbreaking... I think of Lauren Manning, the 9/11 survivor who had severe burns over 80 percent of her body, who said, ‘That’s my reality. I put a Band-Aid on it, literally, and I move on.
- Barack Obama, speech on U.S. drone and counterterror policy, New York Times, 23 May 2013
- Lauren Manning on IMDB
- "Pushing a Rock, Day After Day". New York Times. September 9, 2003.
- "After 9/11, One Survivor's Tales of a Miraculous Recovery - Interview". TIME. August 30, 2011.
- "9/11 survivor Lauren Manning - Video". PBS. September 9, 2011.
- "After Burn Injuries, Sept. 11 Survivor Shows 'Strength'". NPR. September 11, 2011.