Jump to navigation Jump to search
Lena Mary Calhoun Horne (June 30, 1917 – May 9, 2010) was an American singer, actress, civil rights activist and dancer.
|This article about an actor is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- It's so nice to get flowers while you can still smell the fragrance.
- Don't be afraid to feel as angry or as loving as you can, because when you feel nothing, it's just death.
- Quoted in: The New Bajan (1990) p. 22
- I am not alone. I am free. I no longer have to be a credit, I don't have to be a symbol to anybody, I don't have to be a first to anybody. I don't have to be an imitation of a white woman that Hollywood sort of hoped I'd become. I'm me, and I'm like nobody else.
- Lena Horne (c. 1997) in Susan Ratcliffe (2012) Little Oxford Dictionary of Quotations, p. 208
- "Always be smarter than the people who hire you.“
- I made a promise to myself to be kinder to other people.
Quotes about Lena Horne
- One of my fondest personal memories was Lena Horne and Mike Douglas. We were booked to do "Here's to My Lady" and a prolonged medley together on a Kraft Music Hall Special. I was so thrilled, I kept making mistakes in rehearsal just so we'd have to do it over again.
- Mike Douglas, in I'll Be Right Back: Memories of TV's Greatest Talk Show] (2000) by Douglas (with Thomas Kelly and Michael Heaton), pp. 52-53