Alexander Joseph "Lex" Luthor is a fictional character, a supervillain appearing in comic books published by DC Comics. Luthor is the archenemy of Superman, though given his high status as a supervillain, he has also come into conflict with Batman and other superheroes in the DC Universe. Created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, the character first appeared in Action Comics #23 (April 1940).
- Lex Luthor: Here you are, sir! This serum will cure cancer.
- Warden: Just like that eh? ...I'l have some reputable scientists investigate your claim. Meanwhile, return to the rock-pile!
- Superman #149, The Death of Superman (1961) by Jerry Siegel, Curt Swan and Sheldon Moldoff
- A life, some would argue, is a series of problems. There’s no denying the truth in that – but why get lost in it? Why not rise above the truth… and lead a good life? Shouldn’t we all look at problems as a chance for us to find… solutions?
- I believe there’s something inherently dangerous when something real becomes mythic. Because when faced with a myth we can’t win. So the mythic must be exposed for what it is. So we can believe in ourselves. Because it’s only what’s in us…the drive to be mythic…that matters.
- But one thing’s clear, beyond the mask he wears… is his passion. A palpable thing, that’s almost greater then the man himself. And if there’s passion… there’s desire. And desire means there’s a hole in the man. (About Bruce Wayne/Batman)
- What gives measure to a man's choices is what he has to give up to make them.
- (Talking to Superman) You profess a love for humanity, but that's an emotion you cannot possibly know, because those same abilities make it impossible for you to know it's opposite, it's something that today has its grip on every heart of Metropolis, fear.
- But then, Hope is an aspiration, a beacon that shines brighter than any star lighting the way for all mankind, Hope is the refusal of the inevitable, a hand lifted to the clouds, Hope is what makes us humans, for when reality threatens to destroy us, we reach inward, and we create Hope. It's the greatest gift we can give each other, though it may just be the foundation to a house of cards.
- (Talking to Superman) "Those red eyes, I'm sure they look right through me, like I am nothing more than a nuisance. But when I see you? I see something no man can ever be. I see the end. The end of our potential. The end of our achievements. The end of our dreams. You are my nightmare."
- You know, I used to think that it was our families that makes us who we are? Then I hoped it was our friends. But if you look (Talking to Superman)You need me, you wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain, and you love been a hero don't you? The cheering children, the swooning women; you love it so much it's made you my most reliable accomplice.
- I’ve tried to be a model citizen, General Lane. I know I promised I wouldn’t waste my intellect on kryptonite robots and elaborate super deathtraps. I know that. But three months ago, I looked in the mirror at those nasty little spiderwebs of lines around my eyes and I realized something. I’m getting older, and... and he isn’t.
- Lex giveth-- --and Lex taketh away.
- Adventure Comics Vol 2 #6, written by Geoff Johns
About Lex Luthor
- We want to destroy an indestructible being. My contact is an expert in that field. He is charging us one million dollars for a ten-minute consultation, but I think you will agree it is well worth the price. Gentlemen, I give you.... Mr. Lex Luthor. Our ten minutes start now.
- Alan Moore Swamp Thing #53