Liam Fox (born 22 September 1961) is a British Conservative politician who has been the Secretary of State for International Trade and President of the Board of Trade since 2016. He has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for North Somerset since 1992 and was Secretary of State for Defence from 2010 to 2011.
- This country is not the free-trading nation it once was. We have become too lazy, and too fat on our successes in previous generations, companies who could be contributing to our national prosperity - but choose not to because it might be too difficult or too time-consuming or because they can't play golf on a Friday afternoon - we've got to be saying to them if you want to share in the prosperity of our country you have a duty to contribute to the prosperity of our country.
- I am the great thresher! I gulp in passers by and spit out pieces of blood and bone! I am the destroyer of worlds! I shall tear into this country until nothing is left but ash and crackling, and all the citizens shall wail and gnash their teeth! All will perish before the might of Fox!
- The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history.../ /....The only reason that we wouldn’t come to a free and open agreement is because politics gets in the way of economics.
- BBC Today programme (20 July 2017)
- There is a 60‑40 chance of no-deal Brexit.
- Interviewed by The Sunday Times (5 August 2018)