Luise Rainer (12 January 1910 – 30 December 2014) was the first actor to win two Oscars. Born in Germany, she moved to the United States in 1935 and Britain in 1944.
- I was nobody to make a pass to. I was very thin like a boy and I was very un-sexy.
- I was never proud of anything. I just did it like everything else. To do a film - let me explain to you - it's like having a baby. You labor, you labor, you labor, and then you have it. And then it grows up and it grows away from you. But to be proud of giving birth to a baby? Proud? No, every cow can do that.
- I don’t believe in acting. I think that people in life act, but when you are on the stage, or in my case also on screen, you have to be true.
- For my second and third pictures I won Academy Awards. Nothing worse could have happened to me.
- The secret of a long life is to never trust a doctor.
Article in Movie Maker
- I'll tell you a wonderful story. Coming with all of these ideas that I had, and still have, and still feel because I never change and still believe in the same things. Soon after I was there in Hollywood, for some reason I was at a luncheon with Robert Taylor sitting next to me, and I asked him, ‘Now, what are your ideas or what do you want to do,' and his answer was that he wanted to have 10 good suits to wear, elegant suits of all kinds, that was his idea. I practically fell under the table.
- I had a wonderful director, Sidney Franklin .... I worked from inside out. It's not for me, putting on a face, or putting on makeup, or making masquerade. It has to come from inside out. I knew what I wanted to do and he let me do it. Hollywood was a very strange place. To me, it was like a huge hotel with a huge door, one of those rotunda doors. On one side people went in, heads high, and very soon they came out on the other side, heads hanging.
- Of her film The Good Earth
- On Christmas night, I danced with all kinds of fellows with pimples and all kinds of sores. I suddenly felt, ‘What is this being shy? I have to give myself, I just felt I didn't want to be shy, I didn't want to draw away, but give myself, I mean, not physically, but be there. It was a great lesson also for me, this tour through Africa and Italy during the war.
- Being on Ascension Island in 1944
- How can you close your eyes and say this has nothing to do with me? I'm not speaking about politics. Politics is a terrible thing. Everyone wants power.
- Of the bombing of Kosovo
Spartacus Schoolnet biography
- Most observers agree that Rainer won her Oscar as the result of her moving and poignant performance in just one, single scene in the picture, the famous telephone scene in which the broken-hearted Held congratulates Ziegfeld over the telephone on his upcoming marriage to Billie Burke while trying to retain her composure and her dignity. During the scene, the camera is entirely focused on Rainer, and she delivers a tour-de-force performance. Seventy years later, it remains one of the most famous scenes in movie history.
- Jon Hopwood
- That girl is a Frankenstein, she’s going to ruin our whole firm.
- Louis B. Mayer