Sven Magnus Øen Carlsen (born 30 November 1990) is a Norwegian chess Grandmaster who is currently the number one ranked player in the world. In January 2010 he became the seventh player ranked number one in the world on the official FIDE rating list.
|This article about a sportsperson is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- I am not some sort of freak. I might be very good at chess but I'm just a normal person.
- I love the game, and I love to compete, but I am not obsessed with the struggle.
- I get more upset at losing at other things than chess. I always get upset when I lose at Monopoly.
- I feel sorry for players who are always lying awake at night, brooding over their games.
- He played the Berlin, I played the most solid line, yada yada yada, let's go to the doping control.
- Magnus Carlsen on the press conference after holding Vishy Anand to a draw in the 8th game of the World championships, using only 15 minutes of his thinking time.
- The best way to deal with losing is not to lose.
- "I think in general the future of classical chess as it is now is a little bit dubious. I would love to see more Fischer [Random] Chess being played over-the-board in a classical format. That would be very interesting to me, because I feel that that particular format is pretty well suited to classical chess as basically you need a lot of time in order to be able to play the game even remotely decently. And you can see that in the way that Fischer [Random] Chess is being played now when it is played in a rapid format. The quality of the games isn't very high because we make such fundamental mistakes in the opening. We don't understand it nearly enough and I think that would increase a lot if we were given a classical time control there. So I would definitely hope for that." — November 2020 
- "I'm certainly somebody who hopes for more 960 in classical format because I feel like 960 is not that suited to rapid and blitz because you're just gonna play too poorly. You're just gonna have absolutely no clue, but if you actually have time to sit down and think for half an hour on your first five moves, then maybe you can get some more understanding of the game."— in a stream with Eric Hansen, April 2021  53:29 - 54:36 
Quotes about Carlsen
- You could say that both Fischer and Carlsen had or have the ability to let chess look simple. – Viswanathan Anand
- In six months of working with Magnus I have seen in him many of the qualities of the great champions. – Garry Kasparov