Manchester United F.C.
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Manchester United Football Club is an English Premier League football club which plays at Old Trafford in Greater Manchester. The club was formed as Newton Heath in 1878, joined the Football League in 1892 and has played in the top division of English football since 1938 with the exception of the 1974–75 season. Average attendances at the club have been higher than any other team in English football for all but six seasons since 1964–65.
- They've done us proud. They came back with all their hearts to show everyone what Manchester United are made of. This is the most wonderful thing that has happened in my life and I am the proudest man in England tonight.
- Manager Matt Busby after beating Benfica by four goals to one in the European Cup on May 29, 1968, 1968: Manchester Utd win European Cup, BBC.
Old Trafford football stadium
Old Trafford football stadium, also known as The Theatre of Dreams, has been Manchester United's home since 1910.
- The most handsomest, the most spacious and the most remarkable arena I have ever seen. As a football ground it is unrivalled in the world, it is an honour to Manchester and the home of a team who can do wonders when they are so disposed.
- Sporting Chronicle: Saturday 19th February 1910
- The above words were written on Old Trafford's opening day in 1910. Manchester United had just moved from their old stadium of Bank Street, Clayton, to a new stadium in the Old Trafford area of west Manchester.
- The Theatre of Dreams
- Sir Bobby Charlton, quoted in John Riley, Soccer (World of Sport) [Silver Burdett Press, 1987], p. 34
- The fans come to the cathedral of Old Trafford to worship their red-and-white gods.
- Ben Westwood, "Manchester: The Theatre of Dreams," Telegraph.co.uk (2002-09-04)
- Encyclopedic article on Manchester United F.C. on Wikipedia