Marian Wright Edelman
- I've been struck by the upside-down priorities of the juvenile justice system. We are willing to spend the least amount of money to keep a kid at home, more to put him in a foster home and the most to institutionalize him.
- Reported in Margie Casady, "Society's Pushed-Out Children", Psychology Today (June 1975).
- A lot of people are waiting for Martin Luther King or Mahatma Gandhi to come back — but they are gone. We are it. It is up to us. It is up to you.
- Reported in Dick Richards, The Art of Winning Commitment : 10 Ways Leaders Can Engage Minds, Hearts, And Spirits (2004), p. 11.
- The challenge of social justice is to evoke a sense of community that we need to make our nation a better place, just as we make it a safer place.
- Reported in Christopher R. Edginton, Peter Chen, Leisure as transformation: Volume 4 (2008), p. 87.
About Marian Edelman
- Don't count out Marian Wright Edelman, because there is talk that President Clinton may want to shock the nation by putting a real black on the Supreme Court.
- Carl Rowan, Inside Washington (March 20, 1993).