Mary Baker Eddy
Mary Baker Eddy (born Mary Morse Baker; July 16, 1821 – December 3, 1910) founded the Church of Christ, Scientist in 1879 and was the author of its fundamental doctrinal textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures. She took the name Mary Baker Glover from her first marriage and was also known as Mary Baker Glover Eddy or Mary Baker G. Eddy from her third marriage.
- One sacrifice, however great, is insufficient to pay the debt of sin. The atonement requires constant self-immolation on the sinner’s part. That God’s wrath should be vented upon His beloved Son, is divinely unnatural. Such a theory is man-made. … The material blood of Jesus was no more efficacious to cleanse from sin when it was shed upon ‘the accursed tree,’ than when it was flowing in his veins as he went daily about his Father’s business. … His disciples believed Jesus to be dead while he was hidden in the sepulchre, whereas he was alive[.]
- Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, pp. 23:3–6, 25:6–8, 44:28–29 (1867).
- It is plain that God does not employ drugs or hygiene, nor provide them for human use; else Jesus would have recommended and employed them in his healing. The sick are more deplorably lost than the sinning, if the sick cannot rely on God for help and the sinning can. … The universal belief in physics weighs against the high and mighty truths of Christian metaphysics. This erroneous general belief, which sustains medicine and produces all medical results, works against Christian Science[.] … If we would heal by the Spirit, we must not hide the talent of spiritual healing under the napkin of its form[.] … The tender word and Christian encouragement of an invalid, pitiful patience with his fears and the removal of them, are better than hecatombs of gushing theories, stereotyped borrowed speeches, and the doling of arguments, which are but so many parodies on legitimate Christian Science, aflame with divine Love.
- Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, pp. 143:5, 155:15 (1867).
- The theory of three person in one God (that is, a personal Trinity or Tri-unity) suggests polytheism, rather than the one ever-present I AM. … Jesus Christ is not God, as Jesus himself declared, but is the Son of God.
- Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, pp. 256:9–11, 361:11–13 (1867).
- Who would stand before a blackboard, and pray the Principle of mathematics to work out the problem? The rule is already established, and it is our task to work out the solution.
- Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures free, as provided by the publisher
- Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures in both browse and search modes at the Mary Baker Eddy Library for the Betterment of Humanity
- The published works of Mary Baker Eddy free, as provided by the Christian Science Publishing Society
- The Mary Baker Eddy papers provided my the Mary Baker Eddy Library
- Information about Mary Baker Eddy on christianscience.com