Jump to navigation Jump to search
Match Point is a 2005 film about a former tennis pro, Chris Wilton, who falls for a beautiful woman who turns out to be his friend's fiancee.
- Written and directed by Woody Allen.
There are no little secrets. taglines
- The man who said "I'd rather be lucky than good" saw deeply into life. People are afraid to face how great a part of life is dependent on luck. It's scary to think so much is out of one's control. There are moments in a match when the ball hits the top of the net, and for a split second, it can either go forward or fall back. With a little luck, it goes forward, and you win. Or maybe it doesn't, and you lose.
- You can learn to push the guilt under the rug and go on. Otherwise, it overwhelms you.
- The innocent are sometimes slain to make way for grander schemes. You were collateral damage.
- Sophocles said, that to never have been born may be the greatest boon of all.
- It would be fitting if I were apprehended... and punished. At least there would be some small sign of justice - some small measure of hope for the possibility of meaning.
- Christopher "Chris" Wilton: So, what's a beautiful young American doing mingling among the British upper class?
- Nola Rice: Has anyone told you you play an aggressive game?
- Christopher "Chris" Wilton: Has anyone told you you have very sensual lips?
- Nola Rice: Extremely aggressive.
- Christopher "Chris" Wilton: I'm naturally competitive.
- Nola: Men seem to think I'd be somebody very special.
- Wilton: And are you?
- Nola: Well, no one's ever asked for their money back.
- Chloe Hewett Wilton: Chris's dad was a bit of a religious fanatic.
- Christopher "Chris" Wilton: After he lost both his legs, he found Jesus.
- Tom Hewett: God... Sorry, but it just doesn't seem like a fair trade.
- Detective Banner: [Holds up Nola's diary] Have you seen this before?
- Christopher "Chris" Wilton: No.
- Detective Banner: Were you aware that Nola Rice kept a diary?
- Christopher "Chris Wilton: [defeated] No.
- Detective Banner: Do you still claim that the last time you saw Nola Rice was at the Tate Modem over a year ago?
- Christopher "Chris" Wilton: Look, you can't blame me for trying to hide the fact that I had an affair with her. I know that it's not the most honorable thing to cheat on your wife, but that does not make me a murderer!
- [last lines, as the Hewett family gathers around Chris and Chloe's newborn baby]
- Alec Hewett: To Terrance.
- Eleanor Hewett, Chloe Hewett Wilton, Heather: To Terrance.
- Alec Hewett: And all that sail on him.
- There are no little secrets.
- Jonathan Rhys Meyers - Chris Wilton
- Scarlett Johansson - Nola Rice
- Emily Mortimer - Chloe Hewett Wilton
- Matthew Goode - Tom Hewett
- Brian Cox - Alec Hewett
- Penelope Wilton - Eleanor Hewett
- James Nesbitt - Detective Banner
- Ewen Bremner - Detective Dowd