|This article on an author is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- A sweet attractive kinde of grace,
A full assurance given by lookes,
Continuall comfort in a face
The lineaments of Gospell bookes.
- Was never eie did see that face,
Was never eare did heare that tong,
Was never minde did minde his grace,
That ever thought the travell long;
But eies and eares and ev'ry thought
Were with his sweete perfections caught.
- An Elegie; or Friend's Passion for his Astrophill, reported in Bartlett's Familiar Quotations, 10th ed. (1919).
Quotes about Mathew Roydon
- It is in the exceeding rapture of delight in the deepe search of knowledge, none knoweth better than thyselfe, sweet Mathew, that maketh men manfully indure th'extremes incident to that Herculean labour.
- Dedication to George Chapman's The Shadow of Night (1594) in "Notices of Mathew Roydon", Egerton Brydges, ed., Restituta: Or, Titles, Extracts, and Characters of Old Books in English Literature, Revived (1815), p. 51.
- [He] hath shewed himselfe singular in the immortall Epitaph of his beloved Astrophell, besides many other most absolute Comike inventions.