Matilda is a 1996 film about a young girl who is extremely smart and loves reading, who has difficulties in life in the form of her disapproving parents Harry and Zinnia and her brother Michael Wormwood plus her terrifying headmistress at school. Matilda soon finds that she has telekinetic powers – she can control things with her mind.
- Directed by Danny DeVito. Written by Nicholas Kazan and Robin Swicord, based on the novel by Roald Dahl.
- [Matilda and Miss Honey walk past the Trunchbull's house]
- Miss Honey: That's where Ms. Trunchbull lives.
- Matilda: Why is there a swing?
- Miss Honey: A girl I know used to live in that house. [cut to a series of flashbacks] Her life was good and happy. When she was just two years old, her mother died. Her father was a doctor, and he needed someone to look after things at home. So he invited the mother's stepsister to come and live with him. But the girl's aunt was a mean person, who treated the girl very badly.
- Matilda: The Trunchbull.
- Miss Honey: Yes. And worst of all, when the girl was five, her father died.
- Matilda: How did her father die?
- Miss Honey: The police decided he killed himself.
- Matilda: Why would he do such a thing?
- Miss Honey: No one knows. [cut back to present] The end is happier. She found a small cottage. She rented it from this lovely rhubarb farmer for just $50 a month, and she covered it in honeysuckle, and she planted hundreds of wildflowers, and she moved out of her wicked aunt's house, and she finally got her freedom.
- [Matilda and Miss Honey arrive at Miss Honey's cottage]
- Matilda: This is the cottage from your story.
- Miss Honey: Yes.
- Matilda: The young woman is you.
- Miss Honey: Yes.
- Matilda: But then... [realizes the Trunchbull is Miss Honey's aunt] NO.
- Miss Honey: Yes. Aunt Trunchbull.
- Mara Wilson – Matilda Wormwood
- Alissa and Amanda Graham, Trevor and James Gallagher – Matilda Wormwood (newborn)
- Kayla and Kelsey Fredericks – Matilda Wormwood (9 months old)
- Amanda and Caitlin Fein – Matilda Wormwood (toddler)
- Sara Magdalin – Matilda Wormwood (4 years old)
- Paul Reubens – FBI Agent Bob
- Tracey Walter – FBI Agent Bill